Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Speeding up calculations

Lemur

Hello,

I'm working on finalizing my database -- I've come a long way!

Regrettably, the wall I've recently hit is a pretty big one. A lot of my calculations in one file take AGONIZINGLY long to compute. I even tried to store them, but I'm unable to do so.

I have the entire file zipped up - it would almost certainly be easier for me to email it (and, it's not big -- zipped, it's about 300kb).

If anyone can help - please email me at lemur@libogroup.com - I'll be happy to send the file, and will look forward to any suggestions that can be made to speed up the calculations.

Thanks!

Chris

Figured it out...

By changing the fields from "calculations" to either text or number, with an auto-entered calculation, I could manually force the field to be indexed - yes, it's slightly bigger, but the calculations are immediate, it seems...

Chris

The beauty is, I don't think those fields ever NEED to be changed -- normally, once an entry is made, it's done - the 'changing' fields are in another file that 'subtotals' those calculated fields -- obviously, THAT file is not indexed/auto-entered.

But, for the most part, with the files I've done this -- an entry is final, and never changes or updates. That's why it works so well!

I may still include a button to 'relookup' -- especially if, down the road, I see some use for it...

Chris

Important Information

Terms of Use