Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

I have a file format question

IGotIt

I’m just curious. It seems that the agreed upon format to build FMP solutions since 7 to 8.5 is single file format. Where all layouts, relationships/TO’s etc. are in the same file. Why then is everything I see from FileMaker Inc. in a multi file format like the “Business Productivity Kit” and every other sample file i’ve ever seen from them?

I don’t remember ever seeing a single thing ever done by FileMaker Inc. in the single file format. Why is that? I understand going multiple files loses some of the functionality. But if FileMaker puts things out multiple files, how bad can it be?

I think what also brings up my question is i've downloaded some calendar solutions that were build in the multiple file format and the companies who built them changed to single file. Now maybe its a matter of new things they added, I don know. But what I do know is every one of them is slower than they use to be, by a lot.

Milo

I’m just curious. It seems that the agreed upon format to build FMP solutions since 7 to 8.5 is single file format. Where all layouts, relationships/TO’s etc. are in the same file. Why then is everything I see from FileMaker Inc. in a multi file format like the “Business Productivity Kit” and every other sample file i’ve ever seen from them?

I'm not sure that the Productive Kit was developed by FileMaker. I could be mistaken but it may be a FSA member's solution. It looks to me that it was built in 6 and then updated. If you look at the web viewer sample or were able to get the free icon file they were all one flat file.

Not everyone uses a single file. I have one solution that was a conversion from fp5. I merged all the invoice information into one file, all the account information into another and USPS data into a third. (The USPS data alone houses over 65,000 records.) So I grouped like items together. I then have a fourth file that is 100% layout. The only tables in the interface file are for user preferences. I've found this works great for when I have to make changes. I do table adjustments on site and then make the interface adjustments at home. Then I just have to go back and replace the one file and they have an updated system. No more importing!

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.