Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

web viewer stuff

Maarten Witberg

Does filemaker store cookies when using the web viewer? Does it store a cache like a normal browser would? (I'm not referring to the fm file cache) If so where? I looked in all the usual places (prefs, application support, application folder) but could not locate it (Mac OSX 10.3.9).

Also, it seems that navigation is not quite smooth. Following a link on some sites will result in my default browser (safari) opening and picking up the link. For instance, try to open the link to the white paper, bottom right on the forum home. it generates a 404 (normal browser as well). But it happens on valid links also (for instance login link to my internet bank). Am I missing something? can anybody else reproduce this?

kjoe

help viewer: "Web viewers are not meant to replace web browsers. For some websites, you may need to open a separate web browser window."

hmmm.

Does filemaker store cookies when using the web viewer? Does it store a cache like a normal browser would? (I'm not referring to the fm file cache) If so where? I looked in all the usual places (prefs, application support, application folder) but could not locate it (Mac OSX 10.3.9).

It uses Safari on the Mac so all data is stored in the same location as the browser. As a test I just deleted all of my cookies and launched a web viewer in FM 8.5. I navigated to google and then to FileMaker Cafe where I just logged in and checked remember me. I then shut down FM and launched Safari. I checked my cookies and I had two. One for google and one for FMC. I then proceeded to the forms and replied to your message without having to log in.

So the cookies are located in /userName/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist and cache is /userName/Library/Caches/Safari/

This is also of note:

From FM 8.5 Read me. Web-authenticated sites retain authentication during an application session. Closing a file and reopening will not force the user to re-authenticate. Quitting the application will resolve this.

Also, it seems that navigation is not quite smooth. Following a link on some sites will result in my default browser (safari) opening and picking up the link. For instance, try to open the link to the white paper, bottom right on the forum home. it generates a 404 (normal browser as well). But it happens on valid links also (for instance login link to my internet bank). Am I missing something? can anybody else reproduce this?

If the link is programmed to open a new window then it will launch Safari or IE outside of FileMaker. I didn't see the white paper so I couldn't try it. I have seen banks use javascript in links to navigate instead of having normal links. This may cause the link to launch in a browser as well. (This is an untested hypothesis.)

thank you very much for clearing this up.

I don't think I very much like the idea of the web viewer just dumping information in another program's folders. I'd much rather have that separate. If I clear my cache for one program, I don't necessarily want to do that for another.

kjoe

IIUC, the web viewer is not really an indepedent browser. It uses the OS built-in browsing engine - and so does Safari (and I suppose it's the same for IE on Windows).

I understand. It is kind of a limit to useability. It's a great addition and I am seeing the potential for displaying and extracting data (although getting meaningful data out of a tangle of html is something of a challenge).

But from a user standpoint... if I display a web page with links I want to be able to click those links. And not suddenly find myself in another program. especially when linking to a third party website you have no control over what they might do with buttons and hyperlinks.

nevertheless, no-one hears me complaining :P

kjoe

I don't think you "find yourself in another program". Filemaker is simply using the OS built-in web viewer object to provide this service. Otherwise, they would have to build a browser from scratch and include the code in the application. This way seems more efficient - it's self-updating (via OS updates), and any plugins you install are automatically included.

getting meaningful data out of a tangle of html is something of a challenge

I agree, and FMI should hurry and add the ability to extract plain text (which any browser can do when saving a page). Otherwise, as I said on another forum, this is going to become the most FAQ.

• 3 weeks later...

Humorously enough, on the PC it DOESN'T seem to use the normal browser's cache/history/etc, although it DOES use the cookie storage. For example, I was playing around with the new features and created a small browser. I tested several sites and checked histories and caches for both browsers (IE and FireFox)... the cookies showed up, but the history and the cache were clean... so it makes me wonder where it is storing the webpages when I hit the "back" button? Anyone have a clue for the PC version?

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.