davek2

print setup problem

davek2

I am new to the forum but have been using Filemaker for years now - and here is a problem that I have never experienced! Help, please!

No matter what I do, my finished product is printing only in Portrait mode! This would be fine if I wanted it to be in Portrait, of course, but I need Landscape Mode.

I have gone to Print Setup and selected the appropriate box, I have even created a script to trigger the Print Setup but to no avail.

My machine is a Windows xp printing to an HP DeskJet 952C. BTW, I use the same files at work (transfer them with a flash drive) and they work just fine over there.

TIA for all advice!!

davek2

new2fmp

I would like to add my IDENTICAL EXPERIENCE to this post. I have a small application that prints fine on my development PC and uses both portrait and landscape reports. When I build a runtime version (FM8Pro) and install it on my laptop to test, each of the landscape reports comes out in portrait -- even though I use the Print Setup function (from the top menu) immediately before printing -- AND EVEN when I use the laptop's Settings menu and change the printer's default configuration to landscape (and print a landscape test page!). FMP reports insist on printing portait.

I hope someone can shed some light on this as it is a real show stopper when trying to distribute a quality application.

(BTW, I don't use the scripted version of Print Setup because it binds the reports to my development printer which won't allow a "neutral" runtime version).

qmrs

I cannot see what could be your problems, but I make sure I script anyware I want to print (even have a little picture of a printer on each page off in a corner somewhere) that has the print setup scripted in.

The only thing I can think of is your driver or your printer setup. I would double check you printer itself first and make sure it is not defaulting back, however once you script something I find that it works everytime.

PS I have a choice of about 9 printers and each one works ok?

new2fmp

As I mentioned in my post: I don't use the scripted version of Print Setup because it binds the reports to my development printer which won't allow a "neutral" runtime version. I have confirmed that my laptop's printer stays in landscape mode (by printing WinXP test pages before and after), but FMP always prints in portrait.

Any ideas of things to try?

imacuser

you may want to bind the print setup step in the script but leave the option open to change the printer. We do this all the time because the networked version of our db is being run on many computers with their own default/local printers. the script sets the page orientation/etc, but allows for the user to choose the printer.

Maybe I'm missing something.......

ispsales

Hi Team,

This page setup thing is about to eat my lunch. Scripted or not, I cannot scale my layouts. I have 2 years of development and now the smallest thing is holding up progress.

PC running XP, FMP 9 Advanced, Xerox WorkCentre 7232.

Cannot scale the output. I can adjust the settings in the printer window, but the page break line does not move. Boss asks for another field on the report, and it pushes the print area out another 3/4", so I should be able to scale down 5% or 10% more, but nothing changes.

I'll buy ya a soda if we can get it to work.

George Ross

Wylie, TX

printdrive

Sorry guys... it seems to be a FM bug... I've called the customer support for this problem and they said to me that you can print all you can see in the the preview mode... so you have to build a specific layout with all the fields scaled to your page layout. I did it in this way and everything (obviously) it's ok...

The "bug" seems to affect FM from the 8.5 release after. smiley-frown

AHunter3

a) Scripted Print Setup, where you do not want to restore the printer choice just the print settings Portrait versus Landscape etc, works fine if you use a printer choice that none of your other users actually have. Temporarily install a printer no one else has, use that for your Print Setup scripts, then when those Print Setup [restore] script steps execute they will leave printer choice at currently chosen printer.

b) Restoring instrux to print at 70% or 91% or whatever works perfectly fine on a Mac, always has. Mostly does not work, or works unreliably, on a Windows PC, always has. The printer drivers on a PC are much klunkier things apparently.

ispsales

On a PC, my issue is that I can't scale. If I want to add a new field to a report, I can't scale down to include the new report width. This can't be a new problem. Have a new Xerox printer at work, but it doesn't matter what printer I use.

I know how to setup the printer first, then the script writes in those setting.

Any clues... or should I try to get FileMaker to respond to this.

George Ross

AHunter3

As I said, Windows print scaling doesn't work reliably. I understand your frustration. I had a Windows user with similar problems and we were trying to print to PDF (Acrobat printer driver) and scale to 90%. Instead of the whole layout shrinking to 90% and therefore fitting within the printable area, it just shrunk the elements that were already in the printable area so items were still left off of the printout and the PDF had a bit empty swatch around bottom and right.

Works a lot better on Macs.

ispsales

Thx for the quick reply and understanding. Do you know the status of this issue with FileMaker or Microsoft?

Is there any way to escalate this in the development community?

This problem keeps making me have to re-sell FileMaker at work.

I'd like to stir the pot on this one. It stops me from making more $$.

Later,

George Ross

Wylie, TX

Sharon_Back

Did anyone find a fix for the printing and scaling issue? I'm also having this issue.

When I try to print something landscape and scale to 70% (or anything for that matter) in FileMaker 8 it works fine. When I try to do the same thing with FileMaker 9, it will not print correctly, no matter what I try. It is obviously a problem with a newer version of FMP. I'm going to have to go backwards and reinstall FMP 8 on some computers just to make this print thing work.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Sharon

genkaaa

Found the solution on another forum. The key is to set the Print Margins.

Go to Layout mode->layout Setup->Printing Tab-> check the "use fixed page margins" page scaling will now worksmiley-laughing

jhtmd49

Perhaps print to a PDF then print out a scaled PDF?

AHunter3

Welcome to the FileMaker Cafe, jhtmd49!

You may not have realized it at the time, but you are replying to a thread last posted to in 2009; and it looks like you were replying to the original question which was posted in 2006.

• WE NEED YOUR DONATION NOW

WE have helped 100,000's of people for many years, now we need your help!!!! Your Donation is Needed to Keep Us Online! Covid 19 and isolation!!!! Without Your Help We Are Gone After 23  Years!

3% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Images

Important Information

Terms of Use