Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Current Statistics on a field

MacTechBri

I import a list of new accounts each week. There are various zip codes that need to be assigned to different people.

How could I possibly make a list of currently unassigned zip codes

40202 - 25 new records

40201 - 3 new records

etc...

also possibly showing currently assigned zips

40203 - 4 records assigned to mike

40205 - 20 records assigned to ron

etc..

Also, how difficult would it be to make various new imported records able to be mass assigned to a particualr tech.

Like a drop down box next to the list that would let me assign like this...

john - 40202 - 25 new records

drop down menu w techs names - 40201 - 3 new records

ron - 40204 -30 new records

I am not sure what I would call this type of thing.

thanks for looking

Bri

would these zip codes be assigned in ranges? e.g. all between 40201 and 40300 to John, all between 40301 and 40400 to Bob, etc?

Maarten

No, they would be done individually.

Like the south end would have 40214, 40272, and 40258. These zips are all connected and close, but not within a range.

I see what you are saying 40201- 40207 would go to john 40208-40212 would go to ron etc.

Thanks for your response,

BRi

Still more questions, sorry this is drawn out... Could it be the case that two techs work within the same zip? If not, then you could make a sort of preassigned-zip field with a return-separated list:

40258¶

40272¶

Then relate this field to the Accounts::ZipCode field

Then after import, the any account should be instantly related to a technician which cuts out the need to assign manually. The number of assigned accounts can be calculated using

count(Accounts::ZipCode).

You can view which technician is assigned to which account by the same relationship (put the technicians name field in the accounts table)

One issue might be that the zipcode fields are not entirely clean, e.g. that they have trailing or leading spaces; which would have them fail to match the relationship. So it's probably safe to make a cleanup calc in the accounts table: Trim(Zipcode) which will fix that.

If this is not what you're looking for, please post again.

Maarten

We are on the same page, last night while my wife tuned me out, I explained to her my situation. I had thought that if the techs had a defined area, that it would be so much easier. Tech A's area, the north side. Tech B's area, the south side. And so on. But depending on volume, who has the most, who has the least determines where the zips go. Tech A with the highest volume would only get a few small zips to work this week. Tech B would get the most and largest if they only had a few to start with.

It is tough for me to realize how it should work

Thanks again for your time, reading and answering my post.

Bri

Tech A with the highest volume would only get a few small zips to work this week.

So you're saying, this is more a weekly dutyroster for jobs-to-do than a fixed assignment? (I was working under the assumption that it would be clients assigned to technicians)

So then step A would be to determine how many assignments for each zip (now I unnderstand why you asked for this in post #1) and then step B make a more or less balanced workload for each technician. But still it would be acceptable to shift a whole zip to one tech wouldn't it? Even if this meant the caseload is not completely even.

If I understand correctly you need the zips to be adjoining for efficiency but you know them more or less by heart or you just look at a map or something.

I could probably make a sample by now. Somewhere in the next day or so.

Maarten

PS Edit: how many zip codes do you cover?

Please, don't do any work. I just need guidance. I won't learn anything that way.

"So you're saying, this is more a weekly dutyroster for jobs-to-do than a fixed assignment? (I was working under the assumption that it would be clients assigned to technicians)"

Correct. And weekly zip totals will change. 40202 could have 5 one week and 20 the next.

The work load will never bee totally even.

Thanks again.

Bri

Fair enough. However taking apart samples can be very educational in my personal experience :) . There's learning by doing, learning by pottering around until you stumble on the right solution, and learning by taking apart an seeing how it works.

For general guidance: read this: white paper .

As for guidance in this case, I should probably ask you first what you've got so far, then we can see how to move from there. What tables have you defined? how do they relate to each other? etc.

Maarten

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.