Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Check boxes into text field

pochonerd

I would like to extract from a check box field values that are only checked in the field.

For example: I have a multiple color check box field but I would need in a text field only texts checked in that field like red and blue, from a 52 color value list.

Appreciate your help on this little matter, thanks!

Pochonerd

A checkbox field contains only checked values. The checkboxes are merely an entry/display device. To better see what I mean, go to layout mode, duplicate the field, and set the duplicate to show as edit box.

Yes I have done what you've written, but definitely there's no way to extract which values are marked?

Which other alternative way would you recommend to approch this problem?

Thanks!

Pochonerd

Perhaps I don't understand your question.

I think it might be the other way around, Michael - ie it appears that pochonerd may not have understood your answer.

Pochonerd, as per Micheal's initial response, a checkbox field contains (as data) only the checked values (if any).

Therefore the only thing you have to do to "extract" the checked values is to reference the field.

So for instance if you have a value list with the values "one", "two", "three", "four" and "five" and on a particular record, the second and fourth values have been checked, the underlying field contents will in fact be an extract of the checked values. Ie:

two

four

- with each value occupying a separate line (ie the values are separated by carriage returns).

So if a script or calculation references the checkbox field directly, it will automatically retrieve (extract) a list of checked values for the record in question, in the order in which they were checked (not the order they appear in the value list). ;)

Thanks Cobaltsky and Comment, I have understood what Comment tried to explained, complemented by Cobaltsy comments.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Pochonerd!

• 2 weeks later...

This is for CobaltSky, or anyone that can answer it really. In one of your replies in this thread you said the following:

"So if a script or calculation references the checkbox field directly, it will automatically retrieve (extract) a list of checked values for the record in question, in the order in which they were checked (not the order they appear in the value list)."

Can you give me an example of a script or calculation that would take a check box value (that is checked) and list it in a report?

Thanks

Can you give me an example of a script or calculation that would take a check box value (that is checked) and list it in a report?

Ummm... In FileMaker, reports are basically created in layout mode. To include a checkbox value in a report, simply place the relevant field onto your report layout (ensuring that it is large enough to display multiple values if that's needed).

No script or calc needed. However if you wished to reformat the contents of the checkbox field so that they display all on one line, you might use a calculation such as:

Substitute(CheckboxField; ¶; ", ")

... whnich would return a list of checked values separated by commas.

I have a tendency to either say too much or too little. It's the latter in this case so let me add some details.

I have a form layout with 12 check boxes based on a value list. I want to generate a report that will show the checked fields (in the report body) only that are listed under a sub-summary (part), sorted by Project Number. Then I would have some hours listed off to the side of the check box fields.

One record in the report might look like this:

Medicine 2 hours

Heart 2 hours

GI 2 hours

Those 3 would have been the checked values (3 out of 12) on the record with the unique project number of 06.4564. The report would continue on like that with more project numbers, etc.

Can that be done? The other solutions are much more work and I want to be sure whether or not it can be done before I start creating a bunch of other fields.

Thanks for the quick reply and help.

Hi, glen22!

How i understand your problem is extracting checkbox values to normal records.

In attachment i give one of ways how can it be did

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.