Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Automatically populating contact data in a related file...

Mixotic

I'm trying to link the contact data from the pre-built Personell Records file to the contact data in the pre-built Task Managment file.

Basically, what I want to do is be able to assign contacts from personell to tasks in the task db. I see how I can automatically populate the fields with a lookup, but I would much rather just have a record appear in the Task Management contact list when a new person is added to the Personell Records.

This should be easy right? Am I crazy? Opps!

Do you want exactly the same contact data in both tables? or do you want a small subset of the contact data in the Task table? Either way you shouldn't duplicate the data. Keep the contact data in one place and link to it from the Task table. Contact lists in your task table can be populated with the contacts from your personnel table.

I want all the contacts to be viewable and selectable to assign to tasks, but not all the fields from the Personnel file overlap with the fields in the Task Contacts table.

The Task Management file lets you assign contacts from it's own Contacts table to Tasks and Projects in the other tables in the Task Management file. I want to maintain the Personnel Records DB, and have those records automatically show up to choose from in the Task Management Contacts table.

Does that help? Thanks in advance...

A little more explanation....

I have a Personnel Records file (Filemaker pre-built solution) that contains data. I have another Task Management (another Filemaker pre-built solution) that has a contacts table with some fields in common. The Task Contacts table also has additional fields that I woudl ike to be able to add to on a case by case basis. These fields will not need to be replicated back to the Personnel file.

The Task Management file has projects, tasks and contacts. Contacts are assigned to tasks, and tasks are assigned to projects. All I want to do is have a contact created in the Task Contacts table when a new record is created in the Personnel Records file.

How do I do this?

I understand what you are saying. I have difficulty with doing it because I would start with a single contacts table - anyway let's put that out of the way. I make a couple of suggestions but as I said this is outside my experience so perhaps someone else could give you better advice.

I assume that your contacts will have a serial number which identifies them and that this will appear in both tables. Create a relationship between the Personnel table and the Task Contacts table in which all the fields that you want to be the repeated are related by equality and make it possible to create records in the Task contacts table via this relationship. When you create a new personnel record ensure that the user has to click a button to save the record when they have entered the data and in the save record script Set the related serial field equal to the serial number of the record just created. All the other field values will be transferred. There is no point doing this earlier in this method. Another way of doing this would be to define a relationship by serial and then define all the Task fields as unstored calculations via the relationship. The second method has the advantage that if you change the Personnel data it changes automatically in the other table.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.