Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Who uses Filemaker for photographer image management, what do you do with it?

PictureChasers.com

We have been using Filemaker Pro (FMP) for years to manage our images. Our own system that we call "MonsterDB" currently manages images directly from memory cards, moves images though multi stage processing, then moves images to staging folder ready for FTP to website. It can also FTP them directly but that function not yet ready for production use.

MonsterDB is the structure of our workflow. Everything is button driven and workflow pauses for other applications when needed, then a click restarts processing. Photoshop actions are used for all image processing. We still use ACDSee for sorting Horizontals / Verticals as our camera is not "orientation aware" and for a short time longer we still use Flash Renamer to rename our files.

Soon our ONLY external software will be Photoshop running our large selection of Photoshop Actions.

Our Filemaker Pro Database currently contains over 113,000 images including thumbnails & proofs. Images are in various stages of rating (1-10) and detailed keywording (using a master keyword system that we invented), with over 13,000 currently being served online at http://www.PictureChasers.com and over 5,000 images live at http://www.WorldWaterfalls.com.

MonsterDB knows the status of every image, including where it's files are, what processing has been done and all necessary marketing information ready for easy web upload. We personally shoot about 40,000 images per year, mostly on the road. Without MonsterDB I cannot image how we could efficiently master the necessary digital image workflow. It took thousands of hours of both development and real-time use & abuse to get this far.

I am curious how many people are either working on similar projects and wish to share ideas, or photographers interested in using the end product. If you're using Filemaker to manage your images maybe we should start a small focused mailing list to share ideas.

I'm working with FileMaker (Pro 8 Advanced) and I'm also an amateur photographer. I haven't combined the two yet but this system you describe sounds interesting to me. I visited your websites and they look really nice, especially did I like the speed of them.

I wonder, are the websites are made from FMPro?

I also would like to know what price you put on the MonsterDB. Are you selling it officially or just planning to?

I'm working with FileMaker (Pro 8 Advanced) and I'm also an amateur photographer. I haven't combined the two yet but this system you describe sounds interesting to me. I visited your websites and they look really nice, especially did I like the speed of them.

I wonder, are the websites are made from FMPro?

I also would like to know what price you put on the MonsterDB. Are you selling it officially or just planning to?

Thanks Jon!

We work very hard on keeping our sites fast under heavy load of images. Our images both thumbnails and web sizes are processed by Photoshop Actions developed for a good balance of image quality vs speed. We will distribute some of these actions as well as time allows.

No we don't serve the website from Filemaker. Sites are powered by the web end of MonsterDB using hand coded PHP and MySQL databases. Server is a 4 processor UNIX mainframe with 12 hot swappable RAID5 drives, powered by mid-Atlantic wind turbines and 100% Green Power. There is a large cost to this though we also offer hosting to photographers on same system.

Our newest site http://www.WorldWaterfalls.com is about 3 months old and has served close to half a million page views.

We use filemaker to import images from cards, sort, rate & keyword. Then output to simple text .CSV file for upload to MySQL Database. Our database queries are completed in milliseconds, though page load times are affected by number of images and pulldown "jump" menus.

Price? MonsterDB covers the entire workflow of a modern photographer. Supporting a product that large could become a nightmare so initial plans are to prepare smaller products, many of which will be free like a simple "card offloader" or "file renamer". Soon a standard/decimal GPS converter (free) will be ready if anyone is interested in trying it out.

The website end is working very well and we currently offer hosting for photographers that includes different levels of web software. The web software itself is not for sale at this time. Our model for the web end of MonsterDB will offer web hosting and image hosting from our own fast servers. We develop this software constantly through real time professional use and re-development. If you were to "buy" our web gallery software and install on your own server it would be outdated within days, requiring updates which might clash with any changes you made on your own. I tried the routes of using software like Gallery and templating systems like Smarty but all have their limitations. So I built my own solutions over 3 years including over 15,000 hours of research & development.

• 1 year later...

Picturechasers... Nice to hear someone else is doing the same thing as I am!!! But I'm on a smaller scale then you are, I am currently designing a DB to track land owners, along with their referenced court documents, for an oil company. I am still in the intermediate stages, but I'd be very interested to hear any advice for a small timer you might have. IE: naming conventions, tables, and anything else you think I should consider! smiley-sealed

Jenni

hmmm, I am listening also, I am creating a database for an art gallery and we are planning on having the artslides.digital images connected to the artist's data or what the customer bought.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.