ttoles1226

Newbie: How do I import Access files to Filemaker?

ttoles1226

How do I export (convert?)an Access database into a Filemaker Pro format? All the conversion instructions I have followed from a third-party book on FileMaker Pro 6 have failed.

aaa

Hi, ttoles.

You can export data to Excel file then import to FM.

Layouts, i think, you must construct yourself. Layouts can not import to FM.

glenn22

If you are familiar with 'Data Sources (ODBC)', you can use that as well. You can find it under the Administrative Tools in the Windows Control Panel. If you have not used it before, it acts as a gateway, if you will. You add the Access dB inside the ODBC app and then FileMaker can open it as a file. I use the 'System DNS' tab in ODBC to do this.

The Excel thing works too, as does Acess exports as tab\txt - but that can be work on the import end. I found the ODBC to be the quickest way.

mstelts

I would like to import Access data into FPro 13 using ODBC, since I don't own the Access program. From what I've read (which might be wrong), I need an Access ODBC Client Driver; but, I can't find this anywhere. Right now, my Windows 7 Professional computer only shows a Microsoft SQL Server as an option when I open the Data Sources Control Panel. Am I looking for the right thing? Are there step-by-step instructions anywhere? Thanks.

AHunter3

I am not an Access user, but I suspect that in order to import from an Access database as an ODBC source, the dang thing has to be OPEN in Access; I don't think the Access ODBC driver will publish the existence of each and every Access database file in each and every folder from each and every hard drive and so on; instead it would make available the data in open, running Access databases that were set up to allow it, and for which you had the appropriate account and password to authorize against it.

I get my drivers from a company called "Actual". I don't think they do drivers for the Windows platform though.

mstelts

Thanks, I think you uncovered my problem. I didn't realize a file needed to be open to be accessed via ODBC. Is this a universal truth? If so, I need to buy the Access program to do what I want. I checked the link - it's only Mac.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.