Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Help with YesNo field

calliex

I am coverting at spreadsheet database to filemakerpro 8. I am very new to filemaker. Man of the fields in this database are yes/no fields. I have set these fields up as check boxes on the form and have the database fields set up as value lists with two choices Yes or No. This is for drugs used on a ambulance call. If they used a drug (yes) and then how was it given IV,etc, Yes. IF not given all values are No by default.

I have the fields auto entered to No prior to user input. This works the way I expect. What I do not expect if I change the field to Yes the No value is still clicked and has to be unclicked by the user. I would expect that with only two choices that If I click yes it would unclick the no value.

I must be using the wrong kind of field. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Change your checkboxes to radio buttons. Checkboxes allow more than one selection - radio buttons insist that only ONE be checked. smiley-smile

LaRetta

radio buttons insist that only ONE be checked.

Hi LaRetta

that's unless you shift-click it (this will allow you to deselect also).

Maarten

Hi kjoe,

Apple interface guidelines suggest radio for ONE selection and checkbox for multiple.

These kinds of tricks work as well on multiple selections in popups but will cause grief when a User does it wrong and removes all prior entries and leaves only their selected one. Oh Really!

Not all Users are power-users ... and tricks are best left to the Developers. smiley-laughing

LaRetta

I agree with you, in my view it's a back door that should be closed. If you want to be really sure that there's only one selection made I think the only way is scripted.

maarten

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.