When doing a multi-criteria statement in an IF script step, why will:

(Input Output Rules::Max_Digital_In

Input Output Rules::Max_Digital_Out

not quoter::Controller = "Electromechanical"

give me my desired output and not:

quoter::Controller != "Electromechanical"

(where != is actually the crossed equal used by filemaker)?

The field quoter::Controller is a drop down selection box.

I also tried: quoter::Controller != "ElectromechanicalP"

(where P is the paragraph symbol)

The first part of the statement works as expected.

I would really like to know so that I can better understand how Filemaker uses these boolean operators. I have had trouble in the past and can't find a definite reason to why I have some of my problems with them. I think my problem really has to do with using them with text and in particular text dropdown, radial, and checkbox selection boxes.

I think it's an order of operations problem. In the first example, the "not" is evaluating on quoter::Controller. I'm not sure why you say this one works, but you should be explicit when using that "not" operation, like:

not (quoter::Controller = "Electromechanical")

Thank you for replying Ender. I thought it might be an order of operations problem too, which is why I put parentheses around the first two statements. I don't understand why putting parentheses around the third would make a difference because you can't just operate on table::field, an operator requires an evaluative expression and thus looks for: value1 evaluator value2.

In any case, that wasn't my question and my solution posted above is still valid and works.

My question is: whenever I use the != evaluator, why do I get inconsistent results?

I don't understand why putting parentheses around the third would make a difference because you can't just operate on table::field...

Of course you can. It only makes sense in cases where the field is a number, but it works.

'not 1' = 0

'not 5' = 0

'not 0' = 1

In your case:

'not quoter::Controller' evaluates to 0, and that is definitely not equal to "Electromechanical," so it fails.

In any case, that wasn't my question and my solution posted above is still valid and works.

My question is: whenever I use the != evaluator, why do I get inconsistent results?

As I said, I'm not sure why you say the first example works and the others fail. Clearly, the first example needs the parenthesis to make any sense.

Perhaps you can clarify your example so we know what values you're putting in, what result you're getting, and what result you were expecting.

Thanks Ender for clarifying the NOT statement a little more for me. I apparently never checked to make sure it still did what I wanted for the other types (it indeed failed, but I corrected with parentheses).

All I am doing is checking my number of inputs and number of outputs for a control system. If the number of inputs and outputs required is more than the type of panel can handle, I send a warning to the user to change the type of panel. Unless it is an electromechanical panel which can have infinite inputs and outputs. My value list options for type of panel is Electromechanical, PLC, TCOM, VCOM, MVP.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.