Jump to content
Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

ValueListItems function woes!!! (FM8)


mraz
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK, someone please help me before I go smoke a pack of smokes in frustration...I have a calculation to flag new product names in an order that used to work, and now suddenly has stopped:

 

If (Exact ( FilterValues ( ValueListItems ( Get ( FileName ) ; "Products" ) ; SOProduct ) ; SOProduct & ¶) ; "" ; 1 )

 

I've narrowed it down to the fact that the calculation

 

ValueListItems ( Get ( FileName ) ; "Products" )

 

is evaluating as blank. The Products value list is a field-based list which works fine. Get ( FileName ) evaluates fine. So why isn't ValueListItems working? AAAhhhh!

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spectator in the peanut gallery raises hand sheepishly ...

 

Uh, something like this happened to me just a few days ago while working on a client's file for the first time. I had the ValueListItems function written correctly ... ValueListItems ( Get ( FileName ) ; "Activity" ), but no dice!

 

Fifteen minutes later, I took a "what-the-heck" look in Define Value Lists. A close inspection revealed my client had named his vlist as "Acitivity" ... which was hard to detect.

 

The Products value list is a field-based list which works fine.

We know the field functions correctly, but has the true name of the vlist been verified?

 

... spectator quietly takes his seat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I did check it. I even went as far as to create a test value list with some hard-coded values, named, oddly enough, "Test". Still no dice. Oh No! Help!

 

I've made sure that the calculations are all unstored, I've tried setting the calc field to global, nothing works. Like I said, it was working before...so I wonder if my file isn't somehow strangely corrupted...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OFF TOPIC: Can't someone properly delimit the smilies used here, so a normally written word like Y_e_a_h doesn't turn into a guitar-playing, boucing banana...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, Rats! Had it been me, and if the spelling was indeed the culprit, I may not have even 'fessed up.Opps!

 

Just trying to think of any other possibilities ... right or wrong ...

• On that "corruption" question, you're not able to construct any ValueListItems calculation in this file that functions properly?... perhaps even hardcoding the file's name with the appropriate "" -- rather than the Get (FileName) function -- just for testing purposes?

• Is your Products_field also unstored? You're obviously bright and aware that vlists can be "coaxed" for ValueListItems even if they're unstored references, but has that branch been investigated?

• Is this the entire calculation, or are we viewing just the salient portion?

• That "SOProduct & ¶" expression should not require quotes around the pilcrow, but ...

• And (I probably shouldn't even ask) your IF argument's results are ordered the way you need them, right?

• Finally, have you seen this posting in FMI's Knowledge Base? http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5907&source=Pug%20News

 

I'm afraid I haven't been much help, but please let me know how it turns out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, I found the problem...my filename had a period in it (I was using a vX.Y version numbering system, so filename_v1.2.fp7 for example)

 

I should have known better, using periods in filenames can lead to problems in other applications as well...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! I hadn't made that mistake yet ... made a bunch of my own creation. Thanks for helping me avoid this one, and I'm glad you got it resolved.

 

Had it been me ...

Oh, of course I would have!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use