Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Image background removal

Databasic

I've searched for a method of removing the white background from images and only found one thread that didn't work for me . So for any other novices looking for a solution try this ( the image must have a plain One colour solid background):

do a "save picture as" to save the image as a gif.

Then open excel and INSERT-picture from file, and insert the image into a spreadsheet

Use the transparent tool from the excel drawing tool bar to delete the background (will delete one colour)

You then have a transparent image BUT if you copy and paste into FM at this point you get a black surround....

You need to draw a solid square around the image - then send the square to the back - group the square and the image - and with the "fill colour" tool select " no Fill " and with the Line Colour select "no Line". You will again now have a transparent image but if you copy and paste into filemaker it will remain transparant.. hope this helps someone

Thanks Databasic.

Native transparency (and also translucency) in PNG files is directly supported in both Filemaker 7 and FileMaker 8, so if you have an image manipulation application that is capable of creating/saving PNG files with transparent/translucent attributes, simply using the Insert Picture command in FileMaker will place the .png file onto a layout with its transparency preserved.

See attached example. Works in FileMaker v7 and v8 on both Mac and Windows. ;)

Ray thanks for the response -

I guess my point was if you copy and save as PNG in excel the transparent attributes of the PNG file don't appear to be retained - but you can still get the image into FM 7 or 8 via excel - if ( like me ) you don't have an image manipulation PROGRAMME... Perhaps I should buy one !! - will e-mail examples - can't attach as win zip file 2.2Mg - any way to reduce that ??

Yes, I discovered this by trial and error. I finally figured out that saving images with a null background (transparent) out of PhotoShop as PNG files worked like a charm.

• 1 year later...

I am having a similiar problem, I think. I am trying to copy images from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Nuvola_icons which seems like great icons. My problem is, when I do this, it has a black box background around the image. Any idea how to get rid of. I tried coping it into excel, but it will not copy and paste. It is a png file and I tried coping it directly into FfileMaker but cannot get rid of the backfround. Thanks if you have any ideas.

Ok Steve -

If you do a straight copy paste you get a white background - good if your fm background is white to get rid of that there is an excel trick

1- Paste the image into excel as a bitmap

2- use the picture colour remover to remove the background - if you paste it to FM at this point you get a black background

3 - Place a square around the image in excel

4 -move square to the back

5 - group the square and the image

6- select the grouped image and use the fill icon to select "no fill"

7 use the brush image to select "no line"

That leaves you with the image and a clear box that will copy to FM as a bitmap without a white or black background -YOU DID ASK !

Let me know how ypou go Cheers

I am having a similiar problem, I think. I am trying to copy images from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Nuvola_icons which seems like great icons. My problem is, when I do this, it has a black box background around the image. Any idea how to get rid of. I tried coping it into excel, but it will not copy and paste. It is a png file and I tried coping it directly into FfileMaker but cannot get rid of the backfround. Thanks if you have any ideas.

Click the icon you want, then when it appears on its own page, click the link to the png, you should now have the icon as the only thing on the web page, right click it and save it to your hard drive (not copy).

In FileMaker, Use the Insert Picure option and choose the png file.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.