Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Refresh Flashing in FMP 8.0

ryanp

Anyone know how to get rid of the annoying refresh flashing that goes on in FM. An example is that every time you press the next record button, all the fields do a quick flash, including all portal rows that are on the layout. Once or twice it is not too annoying, but when you spend all day in it, it gets to you a bit. I have a few test users complaining that they are going go into seizures with it.

The problem is most pronounced on Win XP, while the mac is just fine on the general layout, but the mac flashes the portal rows as well. I understand some data may come and go in a portal, depending on the record, but when for instance the first row always has the same checkboxes in the same location, why does it need to flash? Is there any way to disable this refresh flashing, especially on the Windows side of things?

Thanks all,

Ryan

Hey, Ryan!

Yep, that flash is pretty annoying. Try this ... it may work.

On the offending layouts, add a "big square" (technical term) drawn using FM's layout tools.

(1) Make it the same size as your layout (just the "viewable" portion of the layout your users see in Browse mode will be fine)

(2) Set it's color to white

(3) Send it to the back-most layer of the layout using the Arrange menu

(4) Set it to NOT print using the "Sliding/Printing" menu choice

(5) Make it a Locked object through the Arrange menu, so it doesn't interfere with other work you might do in Layout mode.

I think this will do the trick ... let us know your results.

OK, so I tried what you suggested, but it did not work, but I am thinking a big white box is not going to help since my BG is a gradient. I have attached a screenshot of my layout, with some more specific info removed, but you can get the general idea. So even if the majority of records have nothing in that first portal row, even on the mac, that row flashes every change of a record. On the PC with Win XP is flashes for every single field, every change of a record, and it really is very annoying... Thanks again for all your help.

Well, dang it, Ryan ... I had high hopes it would solve the problem.

I'm glad you included the screenshot (nice looking gradient, btw). I checked layouts in my solutions and the portals do indeed flash, but the FM graphic object at least inhibits the native fields. Portal-flashing (in this context) may be tied to the essence of relationships ... FM must check whether there are any records satisfying the relationship.

No great suggestion here; just an observation. I'm not using a Header part in my layouts (it appears from your screenshot that a Header is present). If no Header was used, your gradient background could extend from top-to-bottom on the layout and would probably achieve the same result as the white box. But changing all your layouts sounds like a lot of work.

Sorry, man. Maybe someone else has a bright idea.

• 4 weeks later...

For what its worth, I just got the chance to play with this again, and here is what I have found. As I've already mentioned, all is perfectly fine on the mac, no flashing whatsoever, but a PC seems to flash white any field, text, container field, any kind of field, upon a record change. So if you change the records quickly, all the fields flash white on and off. The easy (and very boring) way to get around this is to of course make the background all white. What I have been doing though, is making sure all of my fields have white fills, that way I can have fancy backgrounds and other niceties without having to worry about causing my user's eyes undue stress.

So far Portals and text boxes have been immune to that work-around though, so those are still flashing, and of course they are half the screen, so it is still annoying, but not as bad as white flashing on a dark background.

So now if anyone has any other input that would be great.

Ryan

• 8 months later...

I know this is a fairly old thread now, but has anybody come up with any ideas for stopping that annoying flashing...

It hits worse when the computer is under load...

Im using a 3.4Ghz Dual Core System with 2GB Ram, Dual 512MB Nvidia Graphics Cards... etc etc,

Now being that I can run quite a few resource eating applications like editting a

20480 X 20480 sized image (yes that size but dont ask why) whilst burning a DVD and watching a movie quite comfortably... why can't filemaker calculate 3 or 4 fields without causing screen flashing.

Has anybody tried running a filemaker app whilst doing a virus check lately !!!

There should be a Government Health Warning on the Filemaker box...

Anyway lol, has anybody managed to figure out a way around this..

Sorry Kjoe... not sure what I typed in there but dont recall strong language..

Again sorry, must of been getting carried away or something strange ?

• 1 month later...

The screen flash can be minimised but not always got rid of. The best way is to ensure that you do not use objects, fields, and portal with no fill. Also, if you use global containers to contain interface graphics, ensure that they do not overlap over fields and contain a fill colour. In addition, you can also add a 'Freeze Window' script step. This sometimes helps.

For some weird reason it is easier to get rid of screen flash on MacOS X than Windows.

I hope this is of some use.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I had a series of procedures in a script that caused the screen to flash most intrusively. The answer was provided by another user in a forum whereby he suggested that you start any such flashy script with an 'open new window' step.

The options for a new window allow you to position it off the screen by giving it minus 1000 pixel coordinates each way.

The 'flashy' script steps then all occur in a window that is not in the users view. End the script with a close window step and you will end up back at your original window with the user not even aware that you have ever been away.

It works like a dream for me

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

If the refreshing you are experiencing is more of a rather disjointed screen flash then I think the problem is the nVidia card rather than Filemaker. You might want to try reducing the screen refresh rate down to something a bit slower (60hz for and LCD for example) which should solve the problem.

• 3 months later...

I have 8.5.v2 Pro.

Two dozens of Macs - none of them have the problem.

Two PC-s and one of them is going crazy flickering 5 times every time the user changes the content in the window.

Surprisingly (after months of trying almost everything) we got rid of that - my coworker found that the culprit is one plugin called WindowUtility - it is located in Extensions folder. Either move it out of that folder, delete it or disable it from Edit-Preferences-Plugins. It worked.

The enigma for me still stays since the other PC user has the same configuration including the above mentioned plugin and yet that user does not experience the problem. Something that I noticed in the second user is that the flickering is there but it happens when I am accessing the other applications(browsers mostly) - I will see FM flickering in the background.

To me, the problem is much more complicated than it seems.

Important Information

Terms of Use