Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Open Hosted DB via shortcut WITH PASSWORD

DataChris

Hey All,

I'm using a secondary/local file with an Open File command/script as a shortcut to open a hosted/remote database.

However I need the hosted file to open with the standard user/password prompt (not just automatically open with the user/password I entered as I created the script).

I'm sure there's an easy solution but any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

And if you're on a Windows machine you can bypass the local file altogether by simply creating a shortcut on the Windows desktop using this syntax:

fmp7://10.20.30.40/filename.fp7

Ender, if I remove the option to "login automatically" I'll get passwords for both the local file and the remote/hosted file. Not something I want.

I could capture the first sign in and pass it to the second but there's gotta be an easier way.

Perhaps you can explain what you use the local file for. If it's just for opening a remote file, then use a different password or guest account (with auto login enabled) so that it prompts for a password when the network file is opened, or try Ted's suggestion of a URL to open it.

Perhaps you can explain what you use the local file for. If it's just for opening a remote file, then use a different password or guest account (with auto login enabled) so that it prompts for a password when the network file is opened, or try Ted's suggestion of a URL to open it.

The fmpnet..... doesn't seem to work on the mac (even though it should) so I created the local file solely as a shortcut to the hosted file.

I have auto login with a different password on the local file (but this is irrelevent) as the problem occurs while creating the "Open" script (within that local file) you must enter a password to add the file referece to the hosted file and FM/the script seems to simply store what I enter (and automaticially signs in with that stored info).

This really works. I'm not kidding. No opener file necessary.

fmp7://10.20.30.40/filename.fp7

(10.20.30.40 is the IP address of your server. Or you can use the server name too I believe)

ScriptMaker does not store the password of a file that you set in the Open[] script step, so something else is wrong. Hmm, make sure the network file is the one with auto-login disabled. Also make sure you don't have a keychain stored for the files on the workstations. Either of these will still cause you problems whether you use an opener file, or a URL.

ScriptMaker does not store the password of a file that you set in the Open[] script step.

It's definitely stored within the filemaker file (Not in the OS, keychain, etc). As the file can be passed between computers, networks, etc and it retains the remote login info.

It's definitely stored within the filemaker file (Not in the OS, keychain, etc). As the file can be passed between computers, networks, etc and it retains the remote login info.

No passwords are stored in FMP 7 or later files. None. Password *hashes* are stored for accounts defined in the file and the auto-login info. Neither passwords nor hashes are stored for external files in script steps.

When one FMP file tries to open another FMP file it first tries the hashed password that was used to open the first file (unless the other file is set to open with an auto-login). If this fails then it prompts for authentication.

Setup your opener file to either have no password, or an auto-login password that is different from any other password in the main file. Set your main file NOT to auto-login. That way when the opener file is run it won't prompt for password, but the main file will.

Here is the basic cross platform script [FileMaker v6] that we use in our 'opener'.

if(PatternCount(Status(CurrentPlatform), 1)

Perform AppleScript

[try

getURL "FMP5://10.4.1.123/fileName.fp5"

end try]

Else

Open URL [No dialog, "FMP5://10.4.1.123/fileName.fp5"]

End if.

--

Of course you would substitute your local details for the IP & fileName.

As mentioned in previous posts, use a different password/s in the 'opener' than that in the main served file so that the password will be requested when the main file is opened.

We use two (passwords) in the opener, one that is set to run automatically on open [just allows opening, no edit capabilities] and one for the devs to make mods to the opener.

Hope this is of assistance.

Have a Great day!

* *pete.

• 3 weeks later...
When one FMP file tries to open another FMP file it first tries the hashed password that was used to open the first file .... If this fails then it prompts for authentication.

Hey that was it! I was using an auto login/id that was the same as in the Hosted file so it was logging in with that ID. All I had to do was change the username in the shortcut file and BOOM there's my prompt for the hosted file!

Seems so numbingly obvious now!

Thanks!

All I had to do was change the username in the shortcut file and BOOM there's my prompt for the hosted file!

Sounds familiar.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.