Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

portal filtering

languid

Hi, I'm either out of my depth, and/or the answer is obvious. I've looked around the forum, and gotten overwhelmed.

I am creating a sales lead tracking system for myself. I want to create a portal showing a list of companies I have to call today (today's call-backs).

On each company's record, I have created a date field called "callback date". I can search the database, then sort the results by call backdate and company. This way, today's call backs appear at the top of a very long chrnological list.

But I'd like another layout to have a Portal showing ONLY "today" call back dates. So when I come into the office, I run a script, and there are the companies to call today.

(You know what's coming next!) How do I get the portal to show all companies whose callback date is "today" – and not show all callback dates just for one company? I'm getting confused with my one-to-many relationships, global fields and filtering. Suggestions, or directions to appropriate areas of study would be greatly appreciated--thanks!

Four hours later, I am beginning to realize the FM education I require is more complex than anyone will have time to post...but don't let that stop you making suggestions!

you can set up a relationship between a (global) field 'gToday' in which you store today's date and the callback date field.

the script step to use is

set field[gToday; get(currentdate)]

a relationship can be created using the define database dialog.

then draw the portal and put in the required fields. If you need further assistance, please post again.

kjoe

Kjoe, your solution works like a charm, and now I can see how I can use globals for all kinds of uses.

So I am probably pushing my luck, but is there any way to specify a date range using the above technique? (Presumably not, because a global field can only store one temporary value, right?)

True, but two global fields can store two values, and a relationship can have multiple criteria, e.g.:

Table::gStartDate ≤ Data::YourDate

AND

Table::gEndDate ≥ Data::YourDate

---

I had to change the name of the field in Data to YourDate, because this forum's software very "helpfully" turns a semi-colon followed by a "D" into a :D.

Important Information

Terms of Use