Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

What does /* mean?

Wingwalker

I noticed when I converted from a multi file solution to a single file, some of the calculations came over with /* at the beginning of the calculation and at the end of the calculation. What does that mean and what do I need to do about it?

Thanks

James

Hi James!

The paired /* ... */ indicates a comment inside a calculation. Beginning with FM7, we have the ability to include comments in our calculations in two different ways. Your online FM Help can further explain these Comment options, and commenting your calculations is good practice.

More importantly in your instance, though, the presence of these Comments indicates you have calculations that FM was unable to translate into FM7/8 code. The reality is that you'll need to inspect/revise all of these "commented-out" calculations. Some may be revived by retargeting your relationships under your new single-file scheme. Other calculations may need to be rewritten. Given the dramatic changes in FM's architecture, we're all having to deal with this ... except when we build "new."

For more information, search your FM online Help for "What's New" and check other forums regarding "Conversion" or "Migration."

If you want to post some of your particular calcs, we'll see what can be done.

Hi ThatOneGuy,

That is so strange! First I went in and just took the /* out. When I left and came back into the file, guess what? The /* were back again. But thats not the strange part. Lets say the calculation is,

Sum (Invoices | Vendor id::c_balance_due)

When I'm in Specify Calcultion and I Scrolled down to the: Invoices | Vendor id:: relationship and then double clicked on the field: c_balance_due, so I have,

Sum (Invoices | Vendor id::c_balance_due)

just like I had above, it takes it with no problem at all. Why wouldn't it take it when I simply took the /* off?

Strange,

James

Important Information

Terms of Use