Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Penny for your thoughts....

John Crosby

Can anyone help a newbie??

The scenario: An .fp7 database for an estate agent containing about 50 properties and 500 applicants. (the number of applicants and properies both change on a daily basis)

From the applicant layout the ability to view a portal containing 'matching' properties refined by multi criteria relationships with the ability to specify check boxes relating to the specific 'join'.

Does this mean that I have to create 25,000 (50x500) join fields? If so can I automate this and can it cope with the change in numbers?

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

We see this sort of thing on property for sale sites on the web. I haven't given much thought to how it is done but, off the top of my head, you are looking for a combined AND/OR relationship. Lets start with just two criteria:

NumberofBedrooms; NumberofBathrooms. So make these fields in both databases and then construct a relationship in which both match. That takes care of the AND. Now the OR. To ensure data matching I would insist that in both databases you use value lists for data entry. So for Bedrooms you might have values 0 1 2 3 4 5+ and in bathrooms 0 1 2 3+. Set up the fields in your applicant layout as checkboxes and add in a Dont' Care button. The Don't care button populates all the checkboxes this ensures that all properties match on that criterion.

These are the simple types. You will also want to consider ranges of offer prices and here you will need a pair of criteria Price > MinPrice and Price

All of these criteria go into one relationship as you check off the boxes the portal will filter down onto the collection of properties that match the criteria.

Thanks for your comments...

I think what you are talking about relates to multi criteria relationships. I have managed to set up a system similar to what you are talking about however this system does not allow for information to be added which relates to a particular property and a particular applicant.

What I really want to be able to do is to be able to view a portal list of matching properties from the applicant layout BUT to be able to modify individual property details specifically relating to the relationship between that property and that applicant. Some kind of log so I can tell if i have called him about a property, sent a letter, sent an email, maybe see which properties i have offered him in the past.

Firstly, I just want to be able to identify (with a check box) that I have offered a particular site or building to a named person.

Important Information

Terms of Use