Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

empty fields

forbade

Is there any way to make a field not appear in a layout if there is no data in the field? But if there was data in the field it would show up. Or only just have fields that have data displayed. I do not know how to do this.

as always, any help is appreciated.

Depends, you can use merge fields or define a display with the calculation determining what to display... The attached file uses a custom function, I developed (Display) to evaluate the input boxes and display only fields with data in them. Note that if you leave all fields in a line empty the other fields are moved up. I've used this for form letters. There's may ways to do this and I'm sure there are better ways than this, but when I needed it, this is what I came up with... If you question, let me know.

Regards,

Bob

Here's the file..... See my next post for the Zip file..

Depends, you can use merge fields or define a display with the calculation determining what to display... The attached file uses a custom function, I developed (Display) to evaluate the input boxes and display only fields with data in them. Note that if you leave all fields in a line empty the other fields are moved up. I've used this for form letters. There's may ways to do this and I'm sure there are better ways than this, but when I needed it, this is what I came up with... If you question, let me know.

Regards,

Bob

Here's the file

Is there anyway you can edit the fields through the display?

No, it's a one way display.. As i mentioned I use it to display data in Letters and etc

You could use fields with sliding activated (up/across) which eliminates empty fields. But you only see the effect of "Sliding" when viewing in preview mode. Are you familure with sliding?

I am not familiar with sliding fields. I am still rather new to filemaker. I dont even qualify for newbie status, lol. Im sub newbie.

What do sliding fields do? And how would I make them?

forbade:

In layout mode Select the fields you want to slide. Click Format:Set Sliding/Printing, then select which function you want. To see the results view the from in Preview mode. Search FM Help for "removing blank spaces in printouts" This is a good overview on sliding...

Regards,

Bob

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.