Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

I need a SoftReturn in text calculation

hmedia

I'm trying to format a text calculation with Soft Returns as opposed to the hard returns available in the Calc window. I've tried having Global text field with a soft return and using that in the Calc, it 'changes' into a full carriage return.

What symbol do I use? Is it an ASCII code? Can it be done in FMPro or is it an extra outside step?

Help please.

I'm trying to format a text calculation with Soft Returns as opposed to the hard returns available in the Calc window. I've tried having Global text field with a soft return and using that in the Calc, it 'changes' into a full carriage return.

What symbol do I use? Is it an ASCII code? Can it be done in FMPro or is it an extra outside step?

Help please.

Hello hmedia,

The way FileMaker handles text internally, it does not differentiate between hard and soft returns - they are all treated as carriage returns (ASCII charnum 013).

You may be able to achieve the outcome you desire within FileMaker by importing a line-feed character into a field (eg a global field), then referencing that field in your calculations.

I am attaching as file which contains a single ASCII char#10, which I am guessing is probably the one you require.

Failing that, you might consider entering a place-holder character or string and then performing a substitution on the file after it has been exported from FileMaker. You could either do this in a text editor etc, or do it automatically and remotely using a FileMaker plug-in (there are several that provide the ability to remotely perform a find/replace on an external file).

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.