Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Value Lists

ACTVGRFX

I have been trying to create a value list from a related file. I used the "Use values from field" option, and then the "All Values" option. When I try to use the value list, it has omitted similar items. I made sure to reference a field which is unique to each record. Here is an example:

Item 1 - Description - Color 1

Item 1 - Description - Color 2

Item 1 - Description - Color 3

When I pull up the value list, only the first color appears. Does anyone know why this is happening, or how to avoid it?

Thank You.

James

In FM 5 and 6, the first 20 characters of each word and 64 characters per line (separated by ¶) are indexed. So if you have two items which match beyond the first 20 characters of a word or beyond 64 characters in the line, the items may be considered to be the same.

Thanks.

That helps me to know how it is supposed to work, but while I have checked and that applies to some of the missing items, others it does not.

Here is a crazy thing I just noticed:

2000 Neutrals .... is selected in the dropdown menu.

There should also be 2000 Heathers ...., and 2000 Colors ....,

but if I scroll down, and back up...

2000B Colors .... is in the place of what I had selected before.

If I scroll back up, past the selected line, and back down, it reverts to my original selection. I am utterly confused about that(and fairly amused).

Would it help if I recreated the file involved?

Thanks,

James

Are you clicking on the menu or pressing Enter after scrolling? That would cause it to select whatever option is currently 'highlighted'.

I figured it out. My list was sorted by a second field, which was not unique. I was not aware that the second field had anything to do with what values were in the list.

About the highlighted item changing, I was not clicking or pressing enter. When something is highlighted in a normal value list, if you scroll down or up, so that nothing visible is highlighted, when you scroll back the other way, it appears the same as before. For some reason when I was doing that, a value that was not even in the list before would be highlighted. I hope that was a little clearer. Anyway, I just thought that was weird, but now it doesnt really matter.

Thank You for your help.

James

Also, if a value list is defined based on the values found in two fields, the pop-up menu will be based on the second field's index.

This may make some of the expected items not appear in the pop-up menu.

F.i., if you base a pop-up menu on a name and company field, there could be some people from the same record.

Since the pop-up menu is based on the index from the second field, only the first person from the company will show in the pop-up menu.

There are techniques to switch the pop-up to the first field's index.

Archived