Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Counting Value List Items

Hoops

I am working on a discipline database for my school and have a need to summarize consequences in a value list. In the attached example you'll see that this particular student has 3 detentions. I need a field that will calculate and give the the total. Once I figure this out I can then create a field for each infraction (ISS, OSS, Expulsion etc.)

I've tried Valuelistcount, Count(field), etc with no success. Any suggestions?

There is nothing in the zip file you uploaded.

Try creating a relationship from a global text (or unstored calculation) field, which contains the desired infraction type, to the infraction type field. Then, Count(relationship::serial) will return the number of related records, i.e., the number of matching infractions. (Note that any field which will always have a value can be substituted for 'serial' here.)

I'm not quiet sure exactly how to go about your solution. I tried to create a relation from an uncalculated field to the infraction type field with no luck. I'm relatively new to FMP, and can't quite get my head around it. I've attached the actual database with only one student in it... As you can tell, Mickey has two detentions but the count only says 1, User: Admin... no password.

Firstly, you need to allow your Consequence field to be indexed, or else it cannot be used on the 'child' side of a relationship. Secondly, you need a calculation or global text field equal to "Detention-T". Thirdly, you need a relationship matching the calc/global to the Consequence field and Employee ID to itself. And finally, your Detention_Count will be Count(NewRelationshipName::Issues ID), evaluated from the context of Issues.

Archived