Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

importing files to filemaker

stormshine

i need to learn filemaker to help manage and edit the database for my university. i have copied all the files from the main server and i was wondering if i could build the entire database and relationships on my own office computer without it being published live so i can practice working with the fields, general editing, scripting, and management. i appreciate any help.

sure you can. assuming that no-one can log into your computer remotely as it's a workstation, it's done the moment you copied those files. But if your computer shares files across a network, you must set the sharing option (menu bar ->file-> sharing) to exclusive. that way the files are for your workstation only.

kjoe

thank you for the quick response. i was also wondering why in the folders with all the filemaker files there are doubles of each except the copy is named ._*** and filemaker gives me an error if i attempt to open them (._*** was not created by Filemaker or is severely damaged and cannot be opened). are these simply temporary files that i don't need to worry about or might this be a problem? i'm going to continue researching else where but if possible could you explain what CDML files are. my boss said that the .fm5 forms might not be the same as the CDML forms. does it need to be converted before being published to the server? once again thank you for the response. i am very new at this type of software and any help is appreciated.

Archived