Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

limited functions...?

axis3

Hi there,

is there any way that I can write functions that change fields or layout parameters in FM7?

For example, can I write a function to check how many fields of a repeating field are being used and then change the visibile fileds accordingly (basically the Format->Field Format action)

Is it just me or are the options for scripting in the script editor very limited? Is there any chance to do things like "Define database" actions from a function (like creating/deleting fields and such)?

Cheers,

Axis

i created a dialog box, that lets a user enter data - that data is then automatically placed in the next free repetition of a repeating field. I then want to have a button, that triggers a function to see all the entries that have been made. I assigned 100 repetitions to the repeating field, but if only 5 are used for data, I want to only show those 5 and don't waste space for the empty 95 as there are supposed to be other things below

why did you choose to use repeating fields and not store the data in a related table? this can then be viewed through a portal that is scrollable.

repeating essentially are a relic from the time before filemaker was relational. While there are many good uses for repeating fields, what you describe can be performed better and more flexibly by a relational setup.

besides that, afaik there is not a way to set the number of visible repetitions in a script.

kjoe

thanks for the advise - is there any way to set the number of fields a portal shows with a function? or is the only way out of this to use the scrollbar?

Use the scrollbar.

I just thought you can use sliding/printing option to not print the empty repetitions, but this will only work in a printed report or in preview, not in browse mode.

kjoe

Archived