Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Developer Runtime Issue

Anyse

Hello.

I just converted a database that I wrote from Filemaker 6.5 to Filemaker 7.0. Now, I have tested this set of 10 databases and all of their relationships and links. Everything works as it should. However, after putting it into runtime, so may of the relationships for getting data from one data file into another just don't work. They used to be called "Lookups" and so many don't work that another person can't use the full database effectively. How can I assure that "Lookups" will work from one machine to another in Filemaker Runtime?

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

I think that since Runtimes are supposed to be standalone this won't work. You might have to look into a server based solution.

kjoe

The Set of databases is for a single user system and was not intended at all for server use. It iis set up for a singel seat. So, if it works with Filemaker Pro 7 by itself, it would seem appropriate that it would also work the same as in runtime as the point of putting something in runtime is so that people will not have to buy a complete Filemaker Pro 7 for their own use. Also, I have given the same set to another person who has Filemaker Pro 7 and STILL the lookups don't work appropriately. Works on mine and not on theirs. I just don't get it why it will work on my computer and it won't work on theirs. By the way, the computers used are the same operating system as well.

It sounds like your solution uses absolute file paths - so when it's run from another computer, it looks for the related files somewhere on YOUR hard disk.

Read more in FM Help > Creating a database > Defining file references.

I'm sorry, I assumed your lookups were from one runtime to another. But before I make another mistake: you have separate related files like in version 6 and not separate tables in one file? Have you stored relative path only? I'm thinking that even though they're on the same OS storing a full path can get you into trouble.

so file:yoursolutionfolder/yourfilereference

look in the help viewer under 'storing file references".

kjoe

[ QUOTE ]

It sounds like your solution uses absolute file paths...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. However another possibility (thinking along similar lines) is that the names of the files have been changed via a method other than specifying new names within the developer tool when generating the runtime file set.

This too would break the named file references and would result in dysfunctional relationships within the runtime solution.

In either case, manually updating the file references (assuming that you have not removed developer access from the runtime solution files at the time of binding) should provide a solution. wink.gif

Archived