Sign in to follow this  
feelingdoc

System crash - screen color problems

feelingdoc

This has happened twice. Mac user. Panther OS- FMP 7 - I'm writing a script..with loop..loop hangs..use esc option. screen crashes...any ideas???

Maarten Witberg

perhaps if you post the code

kjoe

feelingdoc

There was not a code given. It just turned the desktop color dark and shadow like. The OS didn't go down. It just happened before my eyes. When I reboot...the start up is fine...until I get to the desktop and then it looks ugly. It also won't recalibrate in the OS preferences.

Maarten Witberg

Could be hardware related. Are you working on an iBook? Couple of years back they were produced with faulty video. made your screen look like you're watching it through venetian blinds and worse.

But I meant the code of the script, although I now think that it is unrelated.

To make sure it's hardware, do a system reinstall. Can't think of anything else, except the usual:

-zap the PRAM

-delete finder and system prefs' preference files.

good luck

kjoe

feelingdoc

It's under AppleCare! It happened both on IBook and IMac - both times I wrote a scrip that had a loop that was not a good code. The loop kept looping when I tried to escape it did this. I guess I need to learn how to write a script that works.

Maarten Witberg

OK, please post the script code. It seems to me you have to write some pretty devastating code to mess up the system. wink.gif IOW I can hardly believe it's related.

kjoe

feelingdoc

Go to layout (session file)

go to field "Session Date"

enter find mode

pause (intent is to enter a date...date then continue)

Loop

if...session file field "attendence" = Late

set field statement file..."attendence" =glate

Else

if..session file field "attendence" = gNSF

set field statement file ..."attendence" = NSF

end loop[

Perform script - (statement file - global fields tells which statement to print.)

The scrip was stupid. I just didn't think it through. I need to also link what clien/record in the statement file that this global field needed to go to. It should be done through a relationship not a script. I have about five different statements that I want to print. I need to flag them on a month to month basis... clear the flag. The scrip was stupid I admit that...I can see why it hung. Why it wouldn't escape I'm not sure.

comment

This rings a distant bell: have you tried lowering the screen color depth from Millions to Thousands?

feelingdoc

Yeah...it isn't the screen resolution. It really is something goofy. Just don't know if it is a Panther thing with the OS escape - or FMP thing with the escape. Makes me afraid to play with loop scripts. I tend to learn by figuring out what DOESN"T work rather than having the scrip perfect. I was even doing it on a test file. However if no one else is experiencing this same problem. I assume it is just a weird thing I'm doing.

Maarten Witberg

OK a basic loop structure for looping through records (which is what you seem to need, not loop through fields in a record)

Code:

#create found set first

#sort if necessary for script

go to record [first]

loop

#your procedure

go to record [exit after last, next]

end loop

if you are making a loop and are unsure if it will terminate by itself, then for development purpose you can set a timeout counter like this:

Code:

set field[gTimeoutcounter;0]

loop

#your procedure

#set next procedure value / go to next record / field

exit loop if[#your exit test here]

exit loop if [gTimeoutCounter>1000 #or any number exceeding the number of iterations you expect]

set field[gTimeoutCounter; gTimeoutcounter+1]

end loop

I noticed there were no "end if" in your code, since FM generates an error when try to save the script like that, I assume you forgot to type them. If not there's something fundamentally weird going on.

kjoe

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.