Sign in to follow this  
Cruizectrl

Lists and autopopulating fields

Cruizectrl

Filemaker Pro Newbie here

I'm trying to figure out a way where lets say full contact information is stored in a "contacts" table.

There is another table which gathers info from data entry. In that table there is a field set up which is a linked selection list pull names from the "contacts" table. There is also another field that I want to have automaticly populated once the contact is information such as phone number and maybe some other information that is associated with the contact in the contacts table

What am I missing? confused.gif

comment

There's no need to populate anything. Simply put the related fields from Contacts on the layout of the "another" table. That way when the phone number changes, you only need to change it once.

An exception to this are situations where you need to store the data as it is was at the time - such as price in invoice. Then you'd use lookup.

Cruizectrl

Thanks for the quick response.

are you talking about changing the phone field in the main table to contacts table phone field. The only problem that I'm facing now is when I select name from the list thats created from the info in the contacts table it still doesn't show his phone number.

I'm still missing somthing stupid.

comment

I am not sure I follow this. Do you mean something like this (attached)?

Cruizectrl

Thats pretty close. But for each record created in the main it keeps changing the information for all of them. The use isn't for a a lookup but more for DE and form creation. When a name it selected, it plugs in the phone number.

comment

Why don't you explain in a few simple words what your solution is supposed to do, perhaps attach a sample. "DE and form creation" doesn't mean a thing to me.

Cruizectrl

Its just like you created. But in the main table theres going to me more information stored and each record needs to be unique. Because when you select a contact for one record in the main table it will change for ALL the records..

Kinda like if you had a list of Zipcodes with the City and State in one table and in the other you have a zip field to enter data into. When data is entered I looks at the list and sees what City and State is accociated with that zipcode and autopopulates those fields for you.

comment

Well, that is easily fixed:

Go to Define Database -> Fields;

Rename gContactID to ContactID;

In Options -> Storage, uncheck "Use global storage".

Now you can select a contact per record in Main.

Cruizectrl

Hahahahaha.. just before you reply came in I did that too!! Thanks again for all your help!!!

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.