Sign in to follow this  
Pig

suicidal start up script

Pig

Hi,

I have a problem. I was editing my start-up script to try to fix its tendency to open my file with several windows open (for reasons I couldn't understand). I put a Close Window (current) script step at the beginning of the script, with the terrible result that now I can't open my File at all - it closes as soon as it's opened. I get a brief flash of my opening window, and then it's gone. And the file shuts down with it.

How awful.

Does anyone know a method of editing a script from outside a file; or opening a window on a file some other way; or disabling the start-up script? Or any other solution. Otherwise, I have lost a couple of days since I last backed up. I know, I know... stupid.

Any help very much appreciated.

thanks.

SlimJim

I have seen threads about this in the past (using FMP7). I do not know the most efficient way of doing it but I think this method will work. Open up another database. Go to the relationship diagram and click the add table button. Select add file reference and now select the file that you cannot open. A TO of the file will now be in the database you have open. Create a new layout set up to take its records from this TO. (I don't think you need any fields on the layout). You now have access to the scripts in your file via scriptmaker.

Pig

Thanks for the reply. I've tried doing what you suggest, but I still only have access to the scripts in the File I'm currently in - i.e. not the problematic start-up script. I can import it, and so see the problem, but not change it in the troubled file. Any other ideas?

Thanks so much.

Robert Schaub

If on PC when opening press ESC key multiple times to disable script.

If on Mac press Option and Preiod Key multiple times

This script stop the script. When finally open get in and disable the script at startup.

Hope it helps.

Pig

Thanks for the idea - I can't make it work, though. I've tried Option+ period, and Apple Key + period, but none of them stops the script. It seems that the file won't open without the script, so even if I can stop it temporarily, I can't do anything during the pause, and as soon as it's opened it goes away again.

Either that, or I can't stop it at all. I'm not sure which scenario is happening.

Robert Schaub

Does the file close or just the window?

If the file stays open, Hopefully you have a script in the pulldown script mnu you can run.

Or open scriptmaker and make a new script open a new window?

If you can't open , send it to me and I will try.

Pig

The file closes, so I can't get into Scriptmaker. Can I send it to you? That's very kind. It's 11 MB or so, even when zipped, and I can't figure out how to get into it to purge any data, even through a related file. Sorry - but i've not worked with multiple files before.

is there an address I can email it to you at? I'd attach it here, but they say there's a 10MB limit.

Thanks so much - this is very kind of you

Robert Schaub

Go www.yousendit.com

no size limit. use address in my profile.

Pig

Chopper -

I've cracked the problem - or to be more accurate, someone else helped me crack the problem. It's nice and simple: -

- Use or create another FMP file

- Create a new script that uses the "Perform Script" step to call any benign

script in the problem file. You will have to create a File Reference to the

target file in the process.

- Run the script that you just created.

- Look under the "Window" menu in FMP and you should see the target file.

- Choose it and modify the problem script.

Hey presto, a 10 second fix. It seems calling a script from a closed file makes it open up. Thanks so much for your offer to help, nonetheless; I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet...

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.