Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Self-Join Basics

Fliptophead

Hello all,

I am a NewB to say the least. I am working with a trial version of FP7 and have been figuring things out over the past two weeks as I will be using it at work soon. My question is simple- what exactly are the uses of self-join relationships? Obviously I am missing something rather basic- doesn't the fact that these fields are in the same table alreay give them some sort of relationship?

One purpose of self-joins is to generate found sets quickly, just the same as relationships between separate tables. For instance, if you have a field "year" and a global "year", a self join between the two would make it possible to show all records that have the same year, either in a portal or using the script step "go to related records".

The term 'relationship' refers to data being similar across records, not fields.

If you need further help, please post again.

kjoe

Wow, thanks for your quick reply!

[ QUOTE ]

The term 'relationship' refers to data being similar across records, not fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is where my confusion is. I will try out some Self-Joins and see if I understand it now- thanks! I guess my next problem is understanding globals, since a lot of answers to posts seem to use them. I've read the basic definition, but I haven't yet understood their application.

Archived