Sign in to follow this  
Preston

FM Networking not working on OS X Server

Preston

I'm having some real problems hosting files on OS X server 10.4.2 with FM Pro (non-server).v3

Problem: ***Clients do not see the FM files.

- Firewall is OFF

- double checked the app settings

- Network seems fine as the server can see the same files hosted on a regular OS X computer

- The server can see the local files via FM Networking (if I open->Remote on the server machine, it lists itself).

I'm thinking this is some issue with it being OS X server, but I'm not sure. Do I have to run FM Pro as a certain user? I've tried running FMPro from a different local user account on the server with no change.

Vaughan

Do the files themselves have the correct privileges set to allow them to be shared? This needs to be set file-by-file.

Preston

Yes, all the files are fine and they work as is if I just move them to a different computer,and are available over FM networking when pointed at itself.

Maarten Witberg

If i remember correctly, Filemaker pro 5.5 / 6 could not run as host parallel to Appleshare (the pre-OSX version of apple server). I would not be surprised if this is still the case for OSX server combined with FMpro as host. When using FMpro, a dedicated machine is probably best as host anyway.

kjoe

Preston

So would a short way of saying this be that FMP7 and OS X server are NOT compatible? That doesn't seem right, but since these are clean installs, it seems to be the case out of the box. It seems like I should be able to tweak a TCP setting or process ID somewhere to get this working...

Ender

As I recall, OS X Server IS a recommended system for Server 7. I'm not sure I can shed any light on your problem though.

I suppose you've checked OS file permissions. Does the event.log file say anything? I guess I just want to be sure the service is actually running and the files are being hosted (you said the server lists itself when you open hosts from FM client on the server, but you didn't say if the files are visible too.)

Maarten Witberg

[ QUOTE ]

I'm having some real problems hosting files on OS X server 10.4.2 with FM Pro (non-server).v3

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this thread was about pro as host, not server. I have server 5.5 and OSX 10.3 server on one G4, works flawlessly.

kjoe

Ender

Oops, missed that. blush.gif

Preston

It turns out it is an issue with using 7.v1 with 7.v3

v1 won't see v3 hosted files, while v3 will see v1

Because I had v3 on the server, I was wrongly assuming it had something to do with server - never thought that there would be such compatibility issues within FM7

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.