Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Copy current contents in a series of fields

Rob Evans

I need FM pro 7 to evaluate a series of fields and based on the contents of each, either copy its contents, paste them elsewhere, then evaluate the next field, or alternatively, just pass over the field and go to the next. How can I do this?

My problem is that if a field I'm evaluating (Field 1) contains certain contents this causes a subscript to run, one that involves copying data from other fields (B and C) and pasting them into another file. This seems to keep my main script from returning to Field 2 via the the Go to Next Field step.

You sure haven't given us much to work with here Rob. But if you are using two different files, I sure wouldn't want to be hopping back and forth between files, field by field. And I'd ditch the Copy/Paste technique.

Seems easier to land on a record. Copy it's ID to a global (using Set Field) to establish a relatioship to your other file and (depending upon the uniqueness of the relationship), let Set Field[] do the work. But for goodness sakes, don't jump to your other file. That's totally unnecessary in 7. Easier to establish a File Reference to it, create a table occurrence of it in your graph; create a new layout based upon that table occurrence in the graph and do your work there. Don't leave your main file at all.

There are several approaches to each problem. The best will be determined by what you are doing and WHY! Until we know this, we're just spitting into the wind here. wink.gif

Archived