Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

newbie - restricting editing in browse mode

AJS

Hi,

I'm new to filemaker, and would like to set up a low-security (ie, easy to switch on and off) means of restricting the editing of data in existing records. Essentially I'd like to be able to prevent accidental changes while copying records for search-match (and in particular, to be able to lock out drop-down menus and the like) apart from:

a) when entering a new record; and

b) when an "edit record" button is pressed

How can I set this up?

Thanks, Aaron

If I'm not looking for major security then I use a method, which has been described as "deceiving the user". Set up a browsing layout as you want it and then duplicate it. Make all the fields non-enterable in browse mode on the "Browsing" copy and put in NEW and MODIFY buttons which will switch you to the other layout. Use the second copy for editing old data and entering new data. A SAVE button on the modifiable layout commits the record and switches to the other layout. You can use either one, or preferably a specifically designed layout, for searching records. The modifiable layout should not appear on the layout list.

Thanks for that - this solves half the problem, as I can get rid of the drop-down lists in the alternate layout. The only problem is, it would be good to be able to enter the fields to select text for search-match, but I'd like to be able to prevent editing while allowing selecting.

Right. So you would like them to be able to enter a text field, select part of it and copy it but at the same time not be able to modify the record. Frankly I don't know if this is possible on an automatic basis. You could allow entry but deselect the Save record changes automatically on the Layout Setup. This means that they will be invited to "Save" or "Don't Save" if they accidentally make any changes. It will also do that if they make a change and reinstate it which might annoy.

Edit - I see that aaa has sent an example, which I haven't had a chance to look at. Perhaps that will solve the problem.

[ QUOTE ]

Right.You could allow entry but deselect the Save record changes automatically on the Layout Setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt know about this oportunity. This is good way too. Thank!

Archived