The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnnyAB

Barcode

OnnyAB

Is anyone knows where I can learn or get information how to use barcode scanner in Filemaker?

OnnyAB

it has been so long. But it's not too late to say thank you.

AHunter3

Interesting that you should resurrect this thread, I was going to ask about folks' experiences with barcode fonts + encoding plugins. (don't really need info about the hardware scanners themselves, we have those).

Who has used what, and been happy with it? The only solution I have experience with in recent years is IDAutomation, using their plugin plus font for Code 128 barcodes. IDAutomation provides the plugin for free but you pay a per-seat price for the barcode font.

If someone has a less expensive solution that has worked well for them, we'd like to examine alternatives, although aside from price I have no concerns about IDAutomation's stuff (it worked well for the company where I deployed it).

Ted S

One could also consider a font-free (no fonts) solution that uses a graphical image rather than a font. The SmartPill PHP edition plug-in can create a barcode image on-the-fly and pop it into a container field.

I'm not sure how this stacks up against the font method but if you already own SmartPill you likely have everything you need.

AHunter3

We don't own SmartPill so unless there are advantages to buying SmartPill for this purpose over buying a font + encoderplugin kit, I'd be happier with a font, I think.

We can license the font for just one or two workstations. The only computers that need to "see" bar codes are the ones that literally print them out on labels.

robyt

hello, who is working with peninsula-group plug-in? I've a problem when I try to rotate barcode field, on Mac everything is ok, on win the code is "unreadable"

arigatosan

Buy USB barcoder scanner. Plugin the scanner to USB port.

Open FileMaker database and move to the text field.

Scan the barcode with USB barcode scanner. Scanned barcode text & numbers are entered in the database field.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of Use