Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Ranking by Values

gwent

Good Afternoon,

Attached is a simple FMP7 db that contains 10 records with a series of 10 check boxes [Test1 - Test10. Each check box is totaled in a summary field [tl_Test1 etc.} i.e. Record one has check box 1 checked, Record 2 has check box 1 and 2 checked etc.

I then created a simple Layout and placed the summaries on it.

What I need to do is to be able to sort the summaries in a descending order, i.e. Check Box 10 Summary would be first because Check Box 10 has been checked 10 times etc and has a Summary Total of 10 [tl_Test10].

I think it is going to require some kind of looping calculation but so far I am in the dark.

I sure hope my explanation makes sense.

If anyone has any ideas I would surely be happy..

greg

I am trying to upload the attachment again

Well I did try again and the file does not upload.

Has anyone else had a problem uploading an attachment

greg

1. Have you zipped the file?

2. See Filemaker Help > Finding, sorting, and replacing data > Sorting records > Sorting records by subsummary values

In my sample file I used Totals in my summary fields. They could be count summaries if that is what is needed. The objective is frequency i.e. which check boxes are checked the most in decreasing order.

thanks

greg

Well one thing is clear: you cannot re-order fields on a layout dynamically, based on what's in them.

You can, however, sort RECORDS. So some kind of relational structure is called for. It's difficult to advise without knowing what's this for.

The classic 'tests' structure has tables for Subjects, Tests and Results (Results being the join table between Subjects and Tests).

Hi "comment".

The purpose of the database is to evaluate Inspection Items in a restuarnt. My sample tests are 10 different inspection items looked at in the restaurant on each visit. I just named them test1...test10, perhaps they could be Item1...Item10 in this sample. The actual database has over 400 possible inspection items.

At the end of the day I want to be able to list the Inspection Items missed in a descending order. In other words I want to see the most often missed Inspection Item first and so forth.

Hope this helps explain the purpose.

greg

Not really... I assume this is a periodical inspection?

You will need a table of Inspections, where each Inspection is a record. If you inspect more than one restaurant, you will also need a table for those.

All the inspection items go into a InspectionItems table, where each item is a record.

Finally, you need a join table of Results, linking between Inspections and InspectionItems.

With this kind of structure, you will be able to produce any kind of report you can think of.

comment

Sorry I am not explaining this very well. In this example I have a form with 10 Inspection Items on it. In the sample file I created 10 sample records [inspection Forms] with Inspection Items checked.

From what I think you are saying is I need a separate record for each Inspection Item not just the form.

Perhaps I could have some form of global field store the results of each inspection item on the 10 completed forms.

These globals could the be ranked in a desired order. I am not at all clear as how do to do this. Would I need a separate table for each inspection item? They could be linked by Inspection Form ID#.

greg

Archived