Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Preventing field change

Shar

how to prevent a data entry person from changing a field once it has been filled. I believe that the person is thinking that he/she is in find mode? I would like to format field so it can't be change in that record once it is filled?

Hi,

I posted a sample here in the sample section. It shows a way to protect your data. It is based on two levels of access and fully scripted entry/find/modification using globals as intermediate fields.

kjoe

• 2 weeks later...

...do you have a solution for updating 'Today' in FM7? Every first time I open my solution it takes forever to update each record for 'Today'...

Thanks...

Chopper, much thanks for your insight. This solution is an old one which did not have many records so the updating seemed 'natural' each first time of the day I launched it. The date is, however, the beginning to some calculations based on today's date. Hopefully your simple suggestion will be of help...and certainly save some time without having to 'update' each record.

Leoff,

Bear in mind that calculations which use Get(CurrentDate) must be unstored in order to ensure that they recalculate as the date changes. It's a good solution provided you can live with unstored (and therefore also unindexed) fields.

If you require that your current dates be stored (as was possible with the old 'Today' function), you might want to set up a start-up script which loops though the records and updates the relevant field/s. wink.gif

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Is there anyway to make a field required based on results from other field.

For example if Field A: (text) = "Fire"

Field B becomes a required field

If Field A text is anything else field B is not a required field.

I appreciate any help in advance

Thanks

It's generally not a good idea to post to threads that are as old as this one was. This message board doesn't even run under the same software so all the links are busted.

Also, you posted to a thread in the forum that is concerned with FileMaker 5 and 6. You're using 9 instead, yes?

As far as your question, I confess that nothing immediately leaps to mind. There's no built-in formula for conditionally requiring that a field have a value, so it would be a home-baked approach. Question: what is the context? End user is entering data. At what point ought an error message to pop up if they have not as of yet filled in the required field? What thing or kinds of things would you want to bar them from being able to do at that point until they remedy that situation?

Archived