Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Assigned password doesn't work anymore

Gooseberry

Back in the early FileMaker days, I bought an excellent copywrited FileMaker template from Tom Hyde of Olympia, WA. It's called Box of Rain, v. 2.0 (Sep 94). I've been using it for my record/CD collection ever since. It is accessed through a password he provided after payment.

When FM7 came along, my password stopped working ..... and he hasn't replied to any emails (to Seastack@aol.com) for many years (when I was inquiring about updates). I guess he's no longer around. Too bad.

Now I can only access my piles of data as a "guest." A guest can't modify the layout, and FM7 altered several things that need to be changed back. How can I get this program to accept me again as a "registered user" so I can again operate all its features?

Generally speaking the prognosis for you is somewhat negative. I removed all passwords before conversion but I guess that is not an option for you. Apparently FMP7 is case-sensitive and there are other issues with passwords which are mentioned in a Technology Brief from Filemaker Inc titled. Upgrading to Filemaker 7: Migrating existing solutions.

On a slightly more positive note there is available an application by Passware which will extract passwords from filemaker databases - note that it will not remove protection from databases which have been protected by Filemaker Developer.

If your database has been corrupted during conversion you could try the recovery option. I used this with a database which wouldn't let me in without a password and yet no passwords had been assigned. Recovery produced a copy back to the original (no) password situation.

It may not be as bad as all that.

SlimJim's right that FM7 is case sensitive where previous versions were not. It may be the original password had a different case on some of the letters. Trying a variety of ALL CAPS, no caps, Title Case, or other combinations may work.

If the password you were originally given was a master password, you can go back in in the previous version to see exactly what the password is. If you do not have a master password, then you will not be able to edit the fields, relationships, and privileges in your converted solution.

Also, previous versions did not have an Account in the same way that FM7 does. For converted solutions, you just need to fill in the Password as the Account can remain blank.

Guest Yukon Cornelous

Enter the password as usual....But also enter the password as the username. I find that password protected files sometime require this.

Good Luck.

In converted solutions, the old password can be used as the account name, but this is not required. Leaving it blank works too.

• 2 weeks later...

The big winner is Yukon Cornelous. Entering the password on both lines did the trick. Now to repair the damage to the FM7 version of the Layout.......

Many thanks.

Archived