Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Filemaker, SQL like, Transaction Logs

osfer

I assume you mean for the purpose of recovering from a crash to get you to a certain point in time. If that's what you mean it's not possible with FM. FileMaker is not a transactional DB in that sense.

It can be done. There is a work around that is described in the "Using FileMaker 7" book by Que. It's @ $50.00 US very worth while if you like books.

John

osfer,

Yes you could build a rather extensive workaround like Johnny suggests but it would be just that; a workaround and a serious one at that.

FileMaker is not like Oracle & SQL Server and other transactional databases where you simply configure a few things and turn archive logging on and the rest happens effortlessly.

You could also line trunk of your Taurus and then use it as a vehicle for hauling wet cement but you probably wouldn't like the results. If you have a need to haul cement then you should buy a cement truck.

I have not read the book that Johnny mentioned but I would guess that there would be a lot of effort involved in building it so that it captured every single transaction that it performed against every table in a separate log file.

Hello all,

Thanks for your input.

The goal is, as Ted S wrote, the data safety in between backups (as we do with archive logs on Oracle or MySql). I would like to see this as a feature of Filemaker itself, or a Plugin at least (should be easy to catch and log the "transactions").

The best solution I found, yet, is described on 'http://www.cnsplug-ins.com/library.htm?id=YHCgYiYK' they also have an example file.

Do you have an idea where can I find the Filemaker Plugin SDK?

Archived