Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Lookups, Joins, Tunneling

Anthony_Green

I have some joins that use tunneling from one relationship to another.

EVENTS

pk_event_id

fk_company_id

fk_customer_id

I get the customer_id from a join table of COMPANY_CONTACTS

fk_contact_id

fk_company_id

which with 7's tunneling feature allows me to get to

CUSTOMERS

pk_contact_id

contact_details

now what happens if the contact leaves the company to go and work for a rival and the COMPANY_CONTACTS changes

will the record in the EVENTS table hold the original data

the contacts details plus the company he was at that time employed by ?

or should I be set that field in events to be a LOOKUP instead and will the tunneling still work ?

Tony

Something's not clear about your structure. Is there supposed to be a Company table in there somewhere? Lookups may be needed, but I can't tell yet.

It looks like what you're trying to do is allow each Company to have many Events. A Company can also have many Contacts (Customers?). Then you want to be able to see all the Company's Contacts at the time of the Event. This will require an Event-Contact join table, where each record remembers the EventID and the ContactID (and other stuff too if you want, like their RSVP info, Dinner Choice, etc.)

There is an additional company table yes.

But there is only 1 contact and 1 company per event so a join table isn't needed.

Each Company does have many events - dates both in the past, present and future.

For future dates the contact_id is tied to the company but after the event it isn't - I want to be able to see both which companies attended the event and which individuals.

If the contact leaves the company after the event I want to be able to invite him in his new company to the next one of the same type.

Archived