Sign in to follow this  
eskimodavid

Making copies of a table

eskimodavid

I have 6 tables for "sand", and I just edited 1 of the tables to make it correct, but the other 5 are still wrong. Is their any way that I could make a copy of the correct table, and change the copies table name so it would be a different table? Because changing the other 5 will take forever.

Anthony_Green

In FM7 this happens automatically. If you change the structure of the table all the other views of the table are changed too.

It as it sounds you have 6 different tables for sand.

Why ?

Ender

You should combine your different Sand tables, differentiating them with a Type field, Status field, or whatever.

Anthony_Green

Or depending on your data structure some form of normalisation

T

eskimodavid

There is supposed to be 6 different tables.

Enterococci

B. Vulgatas

B. Fragilis

Total coliform

Fecal coliform

and E. Coli

But im supposed to be using the same template for all 6 (based on excel) and I have just finished modifying the template for Enterococci so it is correct, and I do not want to have to modify the other 5 (it takes forever) anyway i can just copy the changes or copy and paste like everything? Or make a copy of Enteroccoci and just change the name of the copy to E. Coli for example and get rid of the original E. coli?

eskimodavid

here is an example of a fixed table, Look at all the fields i had to add and each field has a calculation so is there a way i can do this without manually making new fields and re-typing the calculations

eskimodavid

and here is a copy of the calculations

Anthony_Green

I think this is a case of 1 (or more tables if normalisation is required) and then just different layouts for each 'Sand' that differs in data structure from the rest.

Though all the records for the 6 different sands will be in one table you should have buttons/script that sort/display only the records for the 'Enterococci' etc and then go to the layout for that Sand.

Ender

But why even have different layouts? If the different Sands have the same fields, then this shouldn't be necessary.

David, there is no built-in functionality to duplicate tables in FM7. You could duplicate the file or use a third-party utility like FM Robot, or simply retype everything, but the problem with this structure would persist. The next time you modify or add a field, you'd still have to do it in 6 places.

Unless there is a compelling reason not to (and we haven't seen it here,) it is much simpler to keep like-data in the same table(s), and differentiate the types of records with a field.

eskimodavid

Actually im working on one that instead of having 6 tables for sand and 6 for water would have one master layout for sand and one for water. But I have to change alot of relationships because their is 50 tables/layouts lol and do a bunch of other things because if I use a amster layout i would be creating records instead of switching layouts between bfra and e.coli for example, im going to finish the 12 bacteria layout one before I do the master table one which is equally difficult i was just wondering if somebody could tell me how to copy so I wont have to keep adding the same things/making the same edits to each layout.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.