Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

A portal to a portal?

fujay

Ok, I have a new problem. Here it is, its an extension of the problem I had in the first thread I started.

Ok, I have three tables: Student Records, Enrollment, and Class Records.

In student records, I have all the students information - name, address etc, and student number

In Class records, I have a portal which shows all the students enrolled in the class (up to six) with their name and student number. This table has a classID field within it

The connector between student records and class records is the third field - enrollment.

In enrollment, I have two fields - classID, and student number. I have used these fields to form a relationship between the classID in Class Records, and Student ID in Student records.

So i create a record (including student number) in student reocrds, and then I create a class (including classID) in Class Records, then I go to enrollment and enter the classID and the student number into a record. When I do this, I can now view the names of all the enrolled students through a portal in my class records.

This part is working fine.

Here is my goal: I want to have ALL the class records on one page in little charts. This means that I want to have a page that shows monday to friday across the top, with class times running down the side. Then, at each of these intersections, I want to have a little chart that shows the name and student numbers of each student in each level.

I dont even know where to start! If someone could even point me in the right direction, I think I can probably figure it out, but I dont even know which table to start with or where to go with it. Help!

And thank you.

You can create two portals: Classes and Students.

When in first portal you choose the Class, in second portal you will see all Students in this Class. Such?

We don't know enough about your setup to answer this. For example, is the weekly scedule repeating rigidly every week? Can two classes can take place at the same time? How many times a week can a class be? A little background information might help visualising what it is you're after. Perhaps even a simulation picture.

I dont know how to make a simulation picture, but here is some more info:

I have three teachers, each teaching on the same day. Therfor there is the potential up to three lessons at the same time. These lessons are the same from week to week however - each teacher has the same lessons with the same students from week to week. Each class is only once a week.

There are some slots however that are private lesson slots. These slots are open and any one student can book any slot during the week. Therefor these slots are always at the same time with the same teacher, but always different (or sometimes no) students.

I am afraid I don't follow. Do you want to show all classes at once? If there's more than one class at the same time, how would this be diplayed? What is the difference between class and lesson?

This is by no means a simple task, in fact it can get incredibly complex. It is well worth figuring out the exact requirements in advance (you can make a simulation picture in Excel, a drawing program, or on a piece of paper). Filemaker is not very good with grid displays. If all you want is an overview, perhaps a summarized report (columnar display) would suffice.

Yes I would like to show all classes at once. There is no difference between a class and a lesson, Im sorry, I must not have stuck with one term. They are the same thing though. I am attaching a diagram of what I have now, as well as what I would like to get to. Thank you for taking the time to look at it!

Archived