Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Network Capabilities

jconty

Couple of questions that I couldn't find answer to in my books. Hopefully you pros can help me out.

Does FileMaker 7 (with or without FileMaker Server) have the capabilities of putting a file on a Network drive so that in case of a crash the file is on the drive and not on a host computer.

Also, when in a work environment, does every work station that wants to be able to access the database need to have FileMaker installed on their computer or is there a way around that?

Thanks in advance!!!

You can open a file in Filemaker that is located on a network drive, but I remember reading several times that this is not recommended.

Yes, each work station needs to have Filemaker installed to connect to a shared database host.

The only way around this is to have your database use Instant Web Publishing to provide a web interface for your intranet but this will limit what you can do with your solution.

Do you remember why it is not recommended to share a FileMaker database over a network drive?? And, is it possible if the database is put on a network drive to share the data with ODBC/JDBC capabilities? And wink.gif is it possible with ODBC to set up different access priviledges; For instance can you have more than one admin, several guests, and lots more people who can only see the information as read only.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Speed is the main issue. 2 users 3 comuters is max thats recomended. The host should never be used as a work station. I tried it way back. Performance was poor. You can have many people with Admin rights but only one Admin account name. Anyone can see the info only one can edit it (record locking) For more info get the book by QUE using Filemaker pro. It's worth the $50.00. (US)

John

John

Anybody know if you can run FMP 6 server and FMP 7 server at the same time on the same box? I have two different databases, one is a legacy system that still needs to be used and the other is a new database developed in version 7. I know you can convert the FMP 6 files, but I have had problems with data corruption in the past with converting files.

Thanks.

rsb87

FM 7 has SOAP so I assume in theory one should be able to write Filemaker access clients using that.

T

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody know if you can run FMP 6 server and FMP 7 server at the same time on the same box?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not possible, as both versions use the same port for connecting clients.

Archived