Sign in to follow this  
jconty

Have any suggestions???

jconty

I want to be able for the user to enter in different components that make up a certain product. I also want the user to be able to do a find on this component and be able to see all the components that make up that component, if that makes sense. So in essence one component (comp_1) has a supplier and another component would have a different supplier and comp_1 as a customer and so forth

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?!?!?!

Maarten Witberg

ur, do you really mean components consist of different components, as in a hierarchy?

say a

Code:

tv

consists of

screen

consists of

glass

fluorescent stuff

cathode ray tube

tuner

consists of

printboard

cable socket

some more stuff

remote

consists of

etc etc

kjoe

jconty

ya pretty much except more in depth like components of cell phones or dvrs etc.

oh ya and include who supplies what to whom

Maarten Witberg

all right, go to

http://www.filemakermagazine.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=551

i'm afraid you have to be a subscriber.

you can interrelate records within the same table to create parent-child-grandchild relations. the technique I use is to create keychains of record IDs.

so tv = ID1, keychain is ID1

screen = ID2, keychain is ID1 ¶ID2¶

glass = ID3, keychain is ID1¶ID2¶ID3¶

fluorescent stuff = ID4, keychain is ID1¶ID2¶ID4¶

cathode ray tube = ID5, keychain is ID1¶ID2¶ID5¶

etcetera

So if you're in record ID1, a portal based on relation ID::keychain would show all components of a tv.

whereas in record ID2, you'd only get the components of the screen.

i did this using some heavy scripting. especially re-creating trees is a bit complex.

You can add any information to the item records, i'd use a separate table to link customers and suppliers to these records. I am not clear on which approach would be best in choosing a main table.

kjoe

jconty

What if you do not know the hierarchy of components and you only know the hierarchy of the suppliers and customers? Currently I have components table and a copy of a business_entity table for both customers and suppliers this way the components have a relationship between the many customers and the one suppliers. I was thinking that maybe you could do it some way by having self-relationships in the components table, but I am not sure.

I tried to go to the link and was not able to go where you wanted me to even after doing the free registration.

Maarten Witberg

I have just realised, you're in trouble with this approach if a component may be part of several different products. Say two cellphones may have the same battery casing but different microchip or something. I guess you'd get in trouble using the above technique then, because keychains would then be corrupt.

Say cell1 would be ID1 and cell 2 would be ID2

cell 1

microchip ID1 ID4

battery casing ID1 ID10

cell 2

microchip ID2 ID5

battery casing ID2 ID 10

the keychain for the battery would then look like

ID1 10 ID2 ID10

In the portal of cell 1 you'd then get the record for cell2 as well.

kjoe

Maarten Witberg

the whole idea i described is based on self-relations.

I don't understand how your data is structured. But a hierarchy is a hierarchy I guess, you can put anything in there as long as there are no cross-relations such as I described. One record may be part of one hierarchy tree only.

And I am sorry the link didn't work out.

kjoe

jconty

Thanks for all of your help!!

If there is that overlap that you are talking about is there no hope or is there a different way you can make the relationships work?

Maarten Witberg

Only you can see if there is overlap by analysing your data. I think the chances are rather big that there would be. If there is, you can't use this method. I can't imagine there would not be another solution, but I don't have it I am afraid. I'm thinking in the direction of extra relationship filters, but how to set this up I have no idea yet. I promise to think about it but I can't give you any guarantees.

There could be something else more straightforward available using a different approach.

kjoe

jconty

I can see that there are many cases where there would be overlap so I thought about the different choices over night and I think I can up with something that might do that is way easier than writing a bunch of scripts.

I have a components table that is linked to the two copied Business_Entity tables (Customer and Supplier). Through this relationship, when entering in a component you choose who is the supplier and who is the custmer through a value list. you are allowed to have multiple entries of the same component because there can be multiple customer-supplier relationships for that same component. When you do a find on the component you can see who the supplier is for that particular component (no matter how many customers). The through 2 different layouts you can search to find who the supplier supplies to and who sells to the supplier. I think this will work for what my boss wants.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.