Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Running Scripts in FMSA7 on Mac OSX

John_C_Foster

I've read some posts here referring to scripts, but none completely address my situation. I converted my FMP6Unlimited files to FMSA7 and have them working in Custom Web Publishing. Now, however, I cannot find any way to run my scripts. On my FMP6 server, I had iDo script scheduler setup to activate my applescripts at specific times. These applescripts told FMP6 what script to run, and when. For example, the server sent me emails twice a day to let me know it was still functioning properly. In addition, the system sent emails with weekly reports on Monday night, including information from the FMP6 files. I thought that by moving up to FMSA7 I would find "built in" capability to do these type of automatic timed script activation, but I can't seem to find it. After reading some of the posts here, it appears that others have encountered the same issue.

If anyone knows how to make applescipts work on a timed basis for activating my scripts in the converted files being served by FMSA7, please let me know.

Thank you,

John C. Foster

Hi John,

I've never used FMSA7 (will be within the next year though) but I do know how you can accomplish this.

OSX has a built-in function called "cron" (actually part of any common linux distro) which runs scripts and programs on a timed basis.

It's a very simple thing to set up since it's already part of the OS. You can use a tool called Cronnix which gives you a nice interface to update your "cron jobs" - http://www.abstracture.de/projects-en/cronnix ..

I'd be surprised and disappointed, however, if a scheduled events type function is not included - perhaps someone with some FMSA experience could let us know - I'd be interested in knowing.

pc

Thanks...I appreciate the help. I assume that this will activate the applescripts that will activate the FMP scripts. I'll give it a try.

Thank you again,

John C. Foster

[ QUOTE ]

You can use a tool called Cronnix which gives you a nice interface to update your "cron jobs"

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean I've been using "crontab" and the vi editor and I don't have to?

I have used iDo in the past and I must say cron is more reliable.

Well, all Cronnix does is edit the user's crontab file anyway - it's a really basic GUI wrapper. You still have to know how to edit a crontab file in the sense of the conventions it uses, eg: */5 in the minute column means every 5 minutes or 1 in the hour column means every day at 1 AM.

As far as I'm concerned the most annoying part of manually editing crontab files the way you suggested is using vi! Using pico or any other simple text editor would be a lot less frustrating.

One little additional comment on John's question - I'm not sure if cron will allow you to run an Applescript unless it's compiled (ie: .app vs. .scpt) ...

• 1 month later...

Yes, this is all well and good. But...Do you need a FMP7 client on the machine serving FMS7 as well? Or can you tell server7 what script you want to run in which file without going through a client?

Archived