Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Two stupid questions Re Runtime

Wingwalker

1. Why when you make a FMP Runtime version for Pc's does it make all of these "dll." files? I only have 10 FMP files but the Runtime made over 40 of these "dll." files. Whats that about? Can I stick them into another folder or do I have to let them loose in the main folder?

2. How important is a runtime? If the customer will pay for it, why not just provide a full working version of FileMaker. Wouldn't that be better? I don't know, I've really not thought through it but would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks guys,

James "The Wing Man"

Filemaker cannot just be handed out like shareware - just like you had to pay for each copy you use, your customer has to pay for their copy.

The runtime that you can build with Developer frees your solution from being tied to Filemaker so that anyone, whether they've even heard of Filemaker or not, can use the solution you've built.

As for the .dll (Dynamic Link Library) files, well, this is a reality of Windows. I wouldn't touch these files unless you want your runtime to suddenly stop working.

If you have a problem with them, just make a shortcut to the runtime and put the shortcut and the project folder into a whole new folder.

Hi Frigante,

Of course the customer would pay for the copy of FileMaker. My only question is. If they are willing to do that, could that not be a better way to do it?

Another question I have about Mac vs. Pc runtime. When I make a runtime for Mac. It makes all of the files with an arrow on them to show they are runtime. It also makes a folder with the arrow on it. Why do I not have that folder with the arrow on it in the Pc runtime?

James "The Wing Man"

Well, the customer can buy Filemaker to run your solution which will allow them possible access to modify it.

This can be a good thing or a bad thing.

As far as the folders with arrows, I'm not sure.

Hi Wingwalker,

If your customers actually *want* a copy of FileMaker, which provides a whole lot of functionality beyond what would be needed to run your solution, and they are hapy to pay for it, thenthat could be a good arrangement.

But if they don't need the added capabilities, then perhaps you are better off reducing the price (and perhaps enhancing your own profitability) while giving them only what they require in the form of a runtime that is tied to your solution. wink.gif

Archived