Sign in to follow this  
FileMakin' Tom

7.0 has done away with valuable functions

FileMakin' Tom

I have decided that perhaps I should give my FMP 7 a test drive and found that many valuable functions are no longer available. Just another screwup by the FMP team who obviously do not USE filemaker (Lower case intended after trying 7). See the exchange of email (scroll down and start at the bottom as this email exchange starts with the message at the bottom, inverse order as are most email exchanges) between myself and Harry Glos evidencing the failure of FMP to include valuable previous functions in their idiotic upgrade:

Thanks Harry . . .

This another reason I cannot convert to 7 as a rule. This lapse makes the disappearing buttons and portals upon which they were based not possible in FMP 7. What a stupid version - to do away with features that were so valued in previous versions. So I guess I have to think in terms of Alpha 5 for the future as FileMaker has dumped on me, my users and many, many valuable features. If you have any contacts at Filemaker Inc - you should send them my question and the two formulae and see if they can figure out how to do it.

Be well . . .

Tom

----- Original Message -----

To: fmguru@tampabay.rr.com

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 6:16 PM

Subject: Re: Stupid FMP 7.0

Greetings Sir Thomas,

Sorry to be so late in getting back to you... One of those days.

I think you found a bug. I tried this but no joy!

Case( Get ( RecordModificationCount )

Nor does the Get offer anything else close to it

Harry

>From: "Tom Dombrosky"

>To: "Harry Glos"

>Subject: Re: Stupid FMP 7.0

>Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:48:56 -0400

>

>Yes but there is no function for "CurrentRecordCount" or

"CurrentFoundCount", etc. So how would the below statements be written.

Thanx

Tom

----- Original Message -----

> From: Harry Glos

> To: fmguru@tampabay.rr.com

> Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 8:48 AM

> Subject: RE: Stupid FMP 7.0

>

>

It's all "GET" my friend as in "Get going" and "Get things Done" The only Case to be found is on TV. "Cold Case".

>

> >From: "Tom Dombrosky"

> >To: "Glos, Harry"

> >Subject: Stupid FMP 7.0

> >Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:34:13 -0400

> >

> >

OK Harry . . .

> >

How does one create the equivalent of the following expressions as done in pre 7.0?

Case(Status(CurrentFoundCount)

"")

or

Case(Status(CurrentFoundCount) = Status(CurrentRecordCount),

"",

1)

I can find no reference to such things in the documentation, help files or anywhere else. This version is truly a piece of crap.

Tom

Ender

Try this:

Get(FoundCount)

and

Get(FoundCount) Get(TotalRecordCount)

harryglos

Yep, I even had my man "Sir Robert of Chopper" take a look and it's puzzlement. But I think I may have a solution. Let me give it a whirl to make sure it works and I'll post back. Or back post or re-post or post again, or hu!

Harry

PiedPiper

[ QUOTE ]

Tom said ... This version is truly a piece of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is so easy to call something stupid and bad-mouth when you don't understand. People that remain ignorant use this tactic ... and that's why they remain ignorant. Blaming is easier than learning. And many people approach problems HOPING to find what doesn't work instead of figuring out what does.

There is nothing 7 can't do that prior versios could. vs. 7 didn't remove any functions except Today() which they rightfully should have.

You've also said FM doesn't listen, doesn't care, doesn't try, and many other other (downright) insulting statements. Yes, please go to Alpha. You obviously will be much happier.

harryglos

Hello there PiedPiper,

You really need to find a way to say exactly what's on your mind and stop beating around the bush!

Although I would be the last one to say that FMP 7 belongs in the "Dung Heap" I do understand that it can be frustrating on occasion.

Out of curiosity, do you have an answer to Tom's question or are you simply haranguing him for sport?

Harry

Ender

Did I answer the wrong question?? blush.gif

PiedPiper

[ QUOTE ]

You really need to find a way to say exactly what's on your mind and stop beating around the bush!

[/ QUOTE ]

Learned from you Harry. Even Tom does exactly that as the original post indicates ...

I can't even tell WHAT his question is. Between all the "Valuable functions no longer available," "Just another screwup by the FM team," "Idiodic Upgrade," "Stupid version," "piece of crap," "FileMaker has dumped on me." Good Lord. No, I don't have an answer because I can't understand his question but so far 7 can do everything I've tried. And I read every post on every forum and have NEVER heard these kinds of global blanket incorrect statements. Mike (Ender) gave him one answer. Why not just post a specific question and see if you can LEARN and leave the garbage at home.

Those that are great in FileMaker certainly aren't running back to prior versions. They certainly aren't complaining about the functions 'no longer available' nor do they call it stupid or crap. Do ya think there may be reasons for that???

If he is truly very lucky someone like CobaltSky will simply explain it. But a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still; and many people understand this so don't bother. There is no convincing Tom. Even if he received an answer to this (unclear) question, he'll come up with something next week. I just don't feel a public forum is the place to vent his inability to adapt, change and learn.

If he did as I did and opened Help and began reading the functions, he would have known the Get() functions replaced Status(). Many papers also explain the version differences. True not everything is in Help and his specific answer may not have been. But these forums are full of posts about Get(ActiveFieldContents) and more not being availble in calculations - they are used mainly for scripting.

No, I'm not doing this for sport, Harry. I truly would rather be learning. But my head isn't a garbage can with a hairy lid and I protect what goes into it. And I had poured my morning coffee, opened Cafe' excited to learn something new and instead got a blast which has now set my mood sour.

harryglos

Ender my friend, you didn’t answer the wrong question. It's just that no one seems to like your answer. I liked it! When I first saw it I said "Hey Mickey"! I even called my wife in to take a look and she liked it too. Her being deaf, dumb and blind not withstanding.

PiedPiper I’m sorry that Tom’s post made your “mood sour”. Maybe Andy Rooney said it best “Year after year cookbooks and diet books are the biggest sellers. How not to eat it once you’ve cooked it.”

Hope this helps… It frankly did little for me!

Harry

PiedPiper

I guess it is perspective, Harry.

It's one thing to post something like, "What the heck did FM do with the functions?" I, and many would simply provide the answer. It's like Tom's buttons/portal problem!? What problem? I use disappearing portals (and buttons) all the time - it works just as well (even better) than prior versions. It is the spew of statement (particularly negative) without basis in fact that bothers me.

Well, I can't remain in a sour mood after reading a post by you, Harry - it's just not possible. I just read another one of your posts (world according to Harry) and laughed so hard I spit my coffee across my keyboard. tongue.gif

Pete

harryglos

Hi Pete,

We don’t allow coffee spitting here in our office. Well, that’s unless you Get ( ExtendedPrivileges )…

Harry

blackcat

Harry

Get(ExtendedPrivileges)! now is this a hidden function in 7 that we don't know about that will be removed in Version 8?

That would really upset some people if we can now predrict what doesn't exist will be removed.(I think that read corrrectly)

Steve

harryglos

Hi Steve,

Get (ExtendedPrivileges) is a keeper. But my wife introduced me to a few others!

Get (Lost)

Get (Out)

Get (Gone)

Get (ALife)

Get (Real) and my personal favorite

Get (Stifled) Don't you just hate that!

Harry

blackcat

I heave heard of another but I can't repeat it here!!

frigante

My favourite is "Get(Bent)"

Johnny Boy

I completly understand. The folks at FMP have done a real good screw job on my brain wrap.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.