Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Troubleshoot design function: ValueListItems

VFXbeth

I'm using FileMaker Developer 5.5 and I can't for the life of me get the design function "ValueListItems" to work, even in a simple test:

Calculation field (ValueListTest) defined for text output = ValueListItems (“MasterFile.fp5”, “Categories”)

I can’t get this field to return the values in the value list “Categories” even with the field definition marked as unstored and/or the “Do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty” is left unchecked. I even tried checking the repeating field box, but that doesn’t help either.

The ultimate reason I want this function to work is that I have a text global match field style-formatted on the layout using check boxes and the value list “Categories.” I want to create a script that will set that match field to check all the boxes, so I thought using a SetField function in conjunction with the ValueListItems function would work. Instead, the script actually clears all selections, since the field is not generating any output data.

Any ideas? I'm desperate. Thanks!!

The most likely culprit is misspelling - design functions take literal text parameters and will not warn you about a mismatch.

I'd suggest you change the first part to Status(CurrentFileName) - assuming the VL is in the same file. Then check in Define Value Lists that you don't have a trailing space or such in the VL name. Best to triple-click the name, copy and paste it in the field definition.

I swear I double and triple-checked the spelling... but the Status(CurrentFileName) was the magic wand I needed. Thanks for that suggestion. Works like a dream... and I can move on. Yay! Thanks!!

Archived