Sign in to follow this  
Wingwalker

Any Ideas on Web Hosting for a Mac

Wingwalker

I didn't realize that many web hosting companies require you to have a Pc to perform some of the tasks necessary for a web page. Do any of you know of web hosting companies where everything can be done on a Mac? Including a demo button, PayPal button etc... I had to quit our current web hosting company for this very reason. I wish I'd have known it earlier in the game it would have saved a lot of time and money.

Thanks for your help,

The Wing Man

frigante

What exactly aren't you able to do on your mac?

Also, which OS are you running?

phosphor

Wouldn't any web server running Apache support the mac ? I'm a PC user myself but it was my understanding that the Apache server was even integrated into OS X.

Wingwalker

Hi guys,

I just found out that I can use my Mac to add a demo button to my web site by downloading a copy of "Fetch". All I want to do is put a PayPal button and a Demo button on my web page and it is not an easy process. I downloaded Fetch and it does not say a word about how to use it. It's been and continues to be, a very frustrating experience to say the least.

The Wing Man

Maarten Witberg

as far as I know Fetch, it's an FTP program. all it does is log into the remote server so you can put files there. we use it to put our locally dreamweaver'd pages on our host service's server. So if I'm not mistaken, you should add the buttons to the webpages locally and then you can reupload them.

I can ask a colleague who does this if you like, but I won't see him till next monday. let me know if you're still stuck by then.

kjoe

Wingwalker

Hi Kjoe,

This web page stuff just makes my head hurt. I downloaded a copy of Fetch, as I said earlier and it just doesn’t tell me anything. I would think that adding a button would be a very standard thing and would be covered like 1 2 3 but it isn’t and I’m really just clueless. You read some of the stuff on the forum and you don’t necessarily think much about it because it doesn’t pertain to what you’re doing right now. But Harry’s post on Help and Quick Start really resonates with me now, when he said,

"If they download our solution from the Internet, or are using it in there business. We’re not there! So the decision to purchase and/or use our solution will be predicated on the clarity of the solution and the quality of the training tools."

He’s right! I feel I’m a guy with normal intelligence who if given reasonable instruction, can follow it. I hate to quote Harry again but he’s right, “Help should be Helpful”.

I read everything they have under HELP and looked at the FAQ on their web site. But it just ain't helpfull!

Kjoe, if you know someone who will help me with this it would be terrific. We have everything set and ready to go except for the Demo button and the PayPal button.

Thanks a lot for all your help and BTW my operating system is Mac OSX

The Wing Man

Aj at Work

Still not clear what you are intending to do. You mention a 'Demo' button and a 'PayPal' button, but you don't mention what you intend each of those buttons to do? As Kjoe pointed out, Fetch is an FTP program. It's only purpose is to enable you to connect to an FTP server to transfer files back and forth to it. I'm not clear what you are expecting it to do to solve your Demo/PayPal buttons problem.

More info please.

Wingwalker

Hi Aj

The Web hosting company we use is called 1&1. We are using one of their stock templates and added our information. This function is performed through what they call their "Website Creator".

We need to add a PayPal button for customers to pay for our products and services. And we need to have two Demo buttons so our customers can download either a Pc or Mac version of our runtime solution.

The problem is 1&1's Website Creator does not accommodate the above and they said I need to use Fetch to add it to our site. I downloaded Fetch and realized after reading their information that I simply don't understand how or what to do to accomplish this task.

We will pay for it, we just need to know how to do it or have someone do it for us. We need it done by the 1st of June and time is running out very quickly.

Thanks for message Aj,

James "The Wing man"

Aj at Work

Thanks for the clarification James. I have some info that will hopefully help you. I have heard of 1&1 and noted that they seem a good webhosting firm. I have not used them or their 'Website Creator'. However, what you are looking for basically amounts to...

1) a way to 'upload' your runtime demos to the website space 1&1 has set aside for you on their server

2) a way to create links to the runtime demos you uploaded

3) a way to link to the PayPal store/payment method I presume you have already setup (or maybe it is not setup yet?)

::1::

1&1's suggestion of 'Fetch' answers the first point. Fetch will allow you to upload a file from your machine to the dedicated space on 1&1's server. To do this you will need information from 1&1 to enter into Fetch. I am a Mac OSX user and personally use Transmit (panic.com) for these FTP tasks, so I will explain using Transmit - Fetch should be similar. You will need...

+ the address of the 1&1 server your website is on

+ the username/password that gives you access to that server

+ potentially an initial folder path to start in, though typically these days that is not necessary as your username/password will automatically place you in the correct folder.

You know what. This is getting a bit long and I'm not sure it is terribly relevant to this forum. As a good forum citizen I would like to offer that you contact me directly and I will try to help you as much as I can. My email address is in my profile.

frigante

As a side note, I'd just like to add that Fugu is my favourite program for FTP/SFTP/SCP transferring on Mac OSX - it's brilliant, in fact.

You can connect to a server, right-click (uh, ctrl-click) on a file, open it in a program, do stuff to it, then when you save the file Fugu automatically performs an rsync on the file to update it at its remote location.

It also has a cool icon...

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.