Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Screen Flashes & data blink

JFMiller3

I work in FM7 (hosted with FMS 7 advanced)on a PC. As I work with programing the database (adding fields and calculations), other people have issues with their screen flashing and data loss until they refresh the screen. confused.gif IS there a way to correct this problem so everyone can work at the same time.

Screen flashing is a way of life with Filemaker - loss of data is not. I suggest you hire a local developer to assist you in soving the problems you are having

It does not surprise me that users experience problems while the developer is, er, developing. Kind of like having a car mechanic opening up the hood while driving along the highway. tongue.gif

Better do your development with off-line clones of your database. It's much safer driving smile.gif.

kjoe

... unless the car was designed to be worked on while it was moving; which is exactly what FileMaker has done. No, I disagree; one should be able to develop while the system is live. This is one of the reasons that people choose FM over other platforms and FileMaker the company stands behind this philosophy.

There is simply too much work involved in the whole export/import process and the resetting of auto-enter values to make the off-line only idea a hard and fast rule.

I've been working with FM for about 7 years now and for the past six I have been working mostly while live. In the first year I was overly cautious and did everything off line but since then I do nearly all development while live. Obviously, if I'm making massive structural changes I do this off line and I am cautious not to bind untested script to production buttons until they have been proven for instance. I am also fortunate that I'm not developing on a high volume system. I might change my opinion if I were working in an environment where somebody was entering a new record every few seconds.

As to the original questions:

1. There is no way to get rid of the flash. This is almost a FileMaker trademark now. I think Macs are less flashy than Windows.

2. Data loss. You shouldn't be having any of this. Although in your post is seems like it comes back when the screen is refreshed.

Yup, Ted is correct - until screen refreshes are performed in nanoseconds - screen flash will remain part of life. Also correct as to the lesser effect on Macs as I program on both platforms and notice the difference.

Interestingly, I always have a networked system shut down to users when I do updates, fixes, etc. Never even considered doing maintanence while the db was in use. But then, we dinosaurs do a lot things the hard way - LOL smile.gif

Be well . . .

Tom

Isn't screen flash also related to screen frequency? I do know how it clicks together - i mean the actual update of field values fm performs vs the video refresh rate of the screen. my experience as a mac user is that it's no big deal. and LCD screens seem quieter all round.

kjoe

Archived