Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Keeping files from opening in Runtime

bigzilla

Question

How do I keep anyone from accessing certain files? I'm using 7 Developer and have 12 external files. I need to accomplish two things In a Run Time solution.

1. I want only the [Main] file to be able to open by double clicking.

2. When the [Main} file is open. If you go under "Window" on the menu bar and pull down to "Show Window" you can open another file. How do you stop that? I mean it makes little sense to stop the double clicking if they can open the files another way. I only want files to open by clicking a button in the [Main] file. Some files are data only files and it is never necessary to access them directly.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

3 answers to this question

Hi Big . . .

There are plugins which remove the entire (or parts of) the FMP menu panel, including the "window" feature. This is just another anomaly which FileMaker refuses to address. It should have been a choice of the developer many versions ago - but FMP does not listen to their users very well.

Try WavesInMotion or other plug in developers to find the one you wish to use. Unfortunately, it is expensive and you must be certain that all work stations on a network have the plugin installed.

Be well . . .

Tom smile.gif

Bill . . .

A work around is to have the untouchable files auto open to a locked screen which has an alert and a single button returning one to the main navigation file. Then, if accessed thru the window menu, they get an admonition that "there are no user serviceable records in this file" and to return to where you want them to be. NOTE: all scripted use of the file then must return to the locked admonition screen when leaving the file (or continuing the script to go elsewhere) for it to continue to work.

Be well . . .

Tom shocked.gif

Hi Tom,

That's just what I did is set up a "No Access" screen and anywhere they click on the screen takes them to the Main Menu.

Thanks Tom,

Bill

Archived