Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Main ID multiple instances

Andrew6000

I am writing a new medical datatbase. For each patient there is a unique "Surgical Pathology #" but for each block of tissue from the patient is assigned its own ID (a,b,c...z). Some patients have one block, other patients have 20 blocks. Does anyone have ideas as to the best way to set this up. I want to be able to have the user log into the table, and for each surgical pathology # see the every block associated. Note that each block has about 30 fields of information associated with it.

I looked at the lending library template. It seems to approach what i am trying to do. But in my case, the user enters a surgical pathology #, and t that point there may be just 1 block "A" or there may be 15 block, A,B,C,D,...M

grrr. Thanks so much!

I should add, a portal won't seem to work b/c the user has to type in information for each of the fields associated with each block (a, b, c...) thanks again.

Does my question not make sense? Should i clarify?

Any help would be much appreciated. I am quite stuck.

thank you.

Sorry Andrew, your question doesn't make much sense. It seems to have something to do with patients, blocks, and serial numbers a through z (what happens if you have more than 26 patients?), but I don't see the big picture. Your reference to the Lending Library doesn't help either, as I don't know what this is.

Perhaps you can illustrate for us what the data looks like in each table, and say more specifically where you are having trouble.

Each patient has a (unique) surgical ID #. The pieces of tissue taken from each patient are embedded in a block of wax. Each block is labeled with a letter. So, each block is defined as a letter which links back to a unique Surgical ID #, but that a patient could have any number of 'blocks'. Each block needs to be related to the surgical path #. But we may get 1 block from 1 patient, 5 from another patient, 30 from another patient. Moreover, the blocks might not be in order. So we might get blocks F,I, and O. Block 27 is labeled AA, 28 is BB, etc. Each block has about 20 fields of information (which differs per block) I need an easy way for the user to enter the surgical pathology number, enter which blocks we have and for FM to generate only as many daughter layouts as needed in for that case?

I hope this makes more sense. I am SO very thankful for any help.

thank you, thank you!

So each patient has one or more Surgical Pathology records, and each Surgical Pathology record has one or more Blocks.

Tell me more about the fields for the Block records. Are there a different set of questions that are used for each type of Block (is there a Block Type?) How variable is the number of fields for various Blocks?

each patient has exactly 1 unique surgical pathology # no matter how many blocks they have.

Each block is like a daughter of that number (starting with A) Yes, there are some questions that are not the same for every block (tissue type, tumor type, date received, sent to, etc...)

each block has the same set of fields. but each surgical pathology number has a different number of blocks.

So I see two tables, Patient and Patient_Block.

Patient has fields:

PatientID

Name First

Name Last

Surgical Pathology #

Date of Birth

etc.

Patient_Block has fields:

Surgical Pathology #

Block ID

Date Received

Tissue Type

Tumor Type

Sent to

etc.

They would be related by Surgical Pathology #. The Patient_Blocks could be added through a portal or created by a script attached to a button. For lots of fields, it's usually better to use a script to add a new related record, then bring the user to a full data-entry screen.

It's not clear if you need the Block ID to be sequencially auto-entered, or if it should be simply entered into the field by the user. Perhaps it would be better if I asked if the Block ID from one Surgical Pathology is related at all to the same Block ID of another Surgical Pathology (Is "Block B" always for Tumors or something?)

Wow, this will get me on my way i think.

No, individual blocks/labeling is totally random, so that won't be a problem.

Question though:

Do you happen to know of any example files that i might be able to take a look at? that might approach this type of procedure?

I can't thank you enough!

Archived